It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASKETBALL: Bol Seriously Hurt In Fatal Car Crash

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 02:51 PM
link   
COLCHESTER, Conn.(AP) - Former NBA center Manute Bol was seriously injured in a car accident, police said.

Bol was riding in a cab Wednesday night when it rolled over, killing the driver and throwing the 7 foot 7 inch Bol from the car. Bol sustained a head injury and was taken by helicopter to Hartford Hospital, state police spokesman J. Paul Vance said.

Bo's condition wasn't released Thursday.

"The doctor said, for his age, he's in extremely good shape and would probably be dead if he wasn't an athlete," longtime friend Andrew Kearns said. "It's going to be a long recovery, unfortunately."

The accident happened about 30 miles southeast of Bol's home in West Hartford.

He spent 11 seasons in the NBA with four teams, blocking more shots per minute than anyone in league history. He retired in 1995, averaging 4.2 rebounds and 2.6 points during his career Bol played in college at Bridgeport and entered the NBA in 1985 with Washington.

Earlier this year, Bol was charged with hitting his daughter, cutting her lip and interfering with a police officer. He also was injured and needed medical treatment.

In 2002, Bol signed with the Indianapolis Ice of the Central Hockey League to raise money for the people of his war-torn homeland of Sudan. He never stepped on the ice.

[Edited on 2/7/04 by TRD]

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Hmm, at first I was gonna say about how good a guy Bol is, I knew about him doing various things to raise money for his homeland. But I didn't know about the charge that he hit his daughter. Maybe not as good a guy as I thought.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Same thoughts here Gibbs. He ws always donating large sums of money to the poor back in his homeland of Sudan. I never heard of the assault charge either.

I remember when he played here for the 76ers, he was 7'7" but looked like he weighed about 130 pounds soaking wet. He had trouble getting up and down the court too but man could he block a shot. Didn't have much of an offensive game either.

That's not his son, that's Mugsy Bogues!!

I hope Manute makes a speedy recovery, I heard he may have broken his neck.

[Edited on 1-7-2004 by ProudAmerican]

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 12:21 AM
link   
If he gained 150 pounds and learned how to balance him self, he couldve been a great player.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I'd imagine it's hard to gain weight when you're that size, but I'd be willing to donate some of my heft to him...

new topics

top topics

join