It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: OTHER: TENNIS: Sharapova into Wimbledon final

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Russian schoolgirl Maria Sharapova completed a fairytale march into the Wimbledon women's final by overpowering former champion Lindsay Davenport in an extraordinary semi-final. Experience counted for little against the youthful exuberance of the 17-year-old from Siberia, who melted the hearts of an enthralled Centre-Court crowd by fighting her way back from the brink of defeat.

BBC Sport

The 17-year-old Russian looked to be heading out of the tournament when she trailed by a set and a break, but a 50-minute rain delay rescued her. Sharapova came storming back with an immediate break and converted her third set point in the tie-break. She maintained the momentum in the final set with two more breaks, and held on for a 2-6 7-6 6-1 victory.

"This is unbelievable," Sharapova told BBC Sport.

"I don't know how I'm in the final. It's amazing, it's my favourite Grand Slam. I never expected to do so well here so early."

Davenport paid tribute to the teenager's calm under pressure.

"In the second set I had a few chances and every time she came up with the goods," said Davenport.

"I had a few break-point opportunities and every time got I got aced or an unreturnable."

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Way to go, girl! Give Serena H-ell!!

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I have to be honest, I hope she keeps winning because I love watching her play. She's gorgeous, she hustles her little a$$ off, and she grunts when she hits the ball.

Ben

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 02:26 PM
link   
This young girl is doing amazing and is brekaing thorugh right now, i dunno how she came back but she did and it was great to watch.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudAmerican
I have to be honest, I hope she keeps winning because I love watching her play. She's gorgeous, she hustles her little a$$ off, and she grunts when she hits the ball.

Ah, I love to hear her grunt

new topics

top topics

join