It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: OTHER: TENNIS: Serena crushes Capriati

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Defending champion Serena Williams swept into the semi-finals with a blistering victory over Jennifer Capriati in just 42 minutes on Centre Court.It was a superb performance from the two-time winner at the All England Club, breaking the number seven seed early in the opening set and never looking back as she raced to a 6-1 6-1 triumph.

BBC Sport

Williams did not drop her tempo and despite swapping breaks she eased past a jaded Capriati in 45 minutes. The 22-year-old faces French fourth seed Amelie Mauresmo in the semi-finals.

"Amelie plays very well on grass so I'm looking forward to playing her again," said the top seed.

"I love her game and I think it'll be a great match."

Williams is bidding to become the first woman since Steffi Graf to win three straight Wimbledon titles.

"I've been thinking about that since the beginning of the tournament," Williams told BBC Sport.

"I was very focused coming out here and I have some goals.

"But I'm just happy to be in the semis after a big injury (knee) so it's really exciting for me."

Capriati swept past Williams in the quarter-finals of the French Open earlier this month but she struggled to find that kind of form on Wimbledon's grass courts.

"I didn't have much of a chance to get into the match and play," said the 28-year-old.

"I felt so much pressure from her on the baseline and I really think that was the best she's ever played against me."

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Too bad for Jen, and go Amelie!

new topics

join