It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Newz Forum: BOXING: Johnson snubs Calzaghe

page: 1
0

log in

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Joe Calzaghe's chance of fighting IBF light heavyweight champion Glen Johnson looks to be over.
 


The Welshman withdrew from the original fight against the 35-year-old American because of a back injury.

Calzaghe's promoter, Frank Warren, had been in talks with opposite number Dan Goossen, but Goossen told BBC Wales on Wednesday the fight will not go ahead.

"There was a multitude of problems but the bottom line is that Glen will not be fighting Calzaghe," Goossen said.

"We're certainly in negotiations on defending his title, but we were very disappointed in Calzaghe not being able to take up this challenge.

"Unfortunately circumstances beyond his (Calzaghe's) control negated that opportunity.

"We wish Joe all the best and we certainly had a straightforward relationship with Frank (Warren), but the timing just didn't work out on this one."

However, the Calzaghe camp insists that a recurrence of the back injury was the reason the fight was not rescheduled for the alternative date in Cardiff on 24 July, which has now been cancelled.



They believe a legal agreement exists in the original contract that says the fight would take place within 90 days if either boxer got injured.

Warren said that the matter is now in the hands of his US counsel, Judd Burnstein.

Warren said: "This is a bitter blow for Joe who has had a bad time recently.

"He will now have a good rest and seek further treatment from specialists during the summer and will return to the ring in September."

Goossen's effort to part from the failed negotiations on good terms is in contrast to the relationship between the two fighters.

Since the failed bout on 12 June, the pair have traded insults through the media.

That is not unusual for boxers but Johnson appeared genuinely angry that Calzaghe had cancelled and is on record as saying he was not interested in rescheduling.

"I'm not fighting this guy anymore, I'm not wasting my time on him," Johnson said.

"I've told my manager and promoter (Henry Foster and Goossen) to find me someone else to fight because I'm not interested in Calzaghe now."

Calzaghe has a date to fight in Cardiff on 24 July, but the 32-year-old might have to postpone his step up a weight and continue to defend his WBO super middleweight crown.

Johnson, meanwhile, could be aiming for a showdown with Antonio Tarver, who sensationally beat Roy Jones Jr in May, or even Jones himself.



Story from BBC SPORT:
news.bbc.co.uk...

Published: 2004/06/24 10:12:45 GMT

© BBC MMIV




posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 10:08 AM
link   


JOE Calzaghe is increasingly unlikely to challenge IBF light-heavyweight champion Glen Johnson at Cardiff International Arena on July 24 - but he is still expected to top the bill.

Johnson, annoyed by the fight's postponement because of the Welshman's back injury, is now apparently booked for an even more lucrative engagement with Roy Jones, Jr, with September 25 the favoured date.

Promoters Sports Network, while insistent that they have a contract which binds Johnson to a clash with Calzaghe, are believed to be making contingency plans to keep the show afloat.


CLICK HERE FOR FULL STORY



 
0

log in

join