It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BOXING: Reid in positive mood

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Robin Reid has said the pressure is on IBO super middleweight champion Brian Magee to prove he is really world class when they fight in Belfast on Saturday.

Magee is now in the world's top 10 but former WBC champion Reid is confident he will win the "Battle of Britain".

"Maybe Magee thinks he is ready for world class now but I think he may be in for a surprise," said Reid.

"Magee is in the position now that he has to show he is world class, so really the pressure is more on him."

Magee has worked his way up to the top 10 in the WBC ratings, defeating the likes of fringe contenders Jerry Elliott and Hacine Cherifi along the way.

But Reid, who lost a controversial IBF title fight to Germany's Sven Ottke in December, said he was not that impressed.

"If he thinks beating Hacine Cherifi was a big thing I think he is kidding himself a little," said 33-year-old Reid.

'Big challenge'

"When I beat Cherifi he was at his best but he was a little bit shot when Magee fought him.

"This is another big challenge for me and I respect Magee. I always wanted this fight although it has been made out that I was avoiding him.

"It was actually the other way around because a year ago we made an offer to his camp and they turned it down.

"I have been there and done it and I am still up there. He has to make that step and I like the feeling of being the underdog, that suits me.

"I think I am considered the underdog because he has home advantage and that is fine. I think it is going to be a great fight."

Story from BBC SPORT:
news.bbc.co.uk...

Published: 2004/06/22 16:18:03 GMT

© BBC MMIV

new topics

join