It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: SOCCER: English Football fan stabbed to death

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 01:11 PM
link   
LISBON, Portugal (AP) - An England fan was stabbed to death in downtown Lisbon early Tuesday and a Ukrainian man, arrested on suspicion of murdering him, was to appear in court later in the day, police said.

Stephen Smith, 28, died after he was stabbed once through the heart near Rossio square at 3.45 a.m. (0245 GMT), police spokesman Alexandre Coimbra said. Smith, from Wolverhampton in central England, was taken to Sao Jose Hospital where he was declared dead on arrival.

Police believe the murder was not related to Euro 2004. Ukraine does not have a team at the tournament.

"The Ukrainian was hanging around, looking to steal from a group of English fans," Coimbra said. "When they tried to defend themselves he pulled a knife and stabbed one of them before running away."

Police chased after the Ukrainian and apprehended him.

Smith had been in Portugal since the start of the European Championship, staying in the southern Algarve region, according to Coimbra.

Other fans in the group targeted by the Ukrainian may be called as witnesses in the case, Coimbra said.

The Ukrainian, whose name was not provided, was living illegally in Portugal and was known to police as a pickpocket, though he had no previous convictions, according to Coimbra.

Lisbon police said there were no reports of violent clashes after the game between England and Croatia in Lisbon on Monday evening. England won 4-2 and advanced to the quarterfinals.

UEFA spokesman William Gaillard said the fan's death was not directly connected to Euro 2004.

"Unfortunately, these are things that happen during a tourist season," Gaillard said. "We want to underline the fact that with fan behavior, we have had no problems."

He said more than 4,000 English and Croat supporters gathered at an organized fan park Monday and no incidents were reported.

The Rossio square, where England supporters have regularly gathered before and after matches, has been a traditional Lisbon meeting place since the 14th century.

Tens of thousands of job-seeking Ukrainian immigrants have settled in Portugal in recent years, but an economic recession has damaged their employment prospects.

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I really can't understand why the rest of the world is so totally obsessive over soccer. I mean in North America everybody likes their own sport, whether it be Tennis, Hockey, BAseball, Fottbal or whatever else. Why is it that the rest of the world follows soccer and not something else then?

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 03:38 PM
link   
The rest of the world do follow their own sports i.e cricket, rugby, tennis etc. Not everyone is obsessive about soccer.

(I can't understand why people are obsessed with it either, and it's suppost to be the national sport here)

TRD

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 03:41 PM
link   
The rest of the world is NOT totally obsessive with Football/Soccer where did you pull that statement from and what has that got to do with the article?

A man who happened to be a soccer fan was the victim of a mugging and vicious stabbing that ended his life.

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
A man who happened to be a soccer fan was the victim of a mugging and vicious stabbing that ended his life.

I thoguht that the guy was an English fan who got killed by Croatian fans who were pissed off that their team lost and won't go to the next round of Euro.

I thought that they did it because they were obsessive over soccer. So it would have something to do with it.

TRD

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
"The Ukrainian was hanging around, looking to steal from a group of English fans," Coimbra said. "When they tried to defend themselves he pulled a knife and stabbed one of them before running away."

Thats what the article said.

But what you say does happen in soccer. Not all the time but rival supporters do clash and fight and people are seriously hurt or killed.

new topics

top topics

join