SYDNEY, Australia (AP) - Police were investigating Saturday links between a drive-by shooting at the home of former triple world boxing champion Jeff
Fenech and a knife attack six months ago.
And The Australian newspaper said Saturday that an underworld source told it a crime gang has put a contract for 50,000 Australian dollars (US$39,000)
out on Fenech following a brawl he had with four others outside a restaurant he owns.
Fenech, 40, was on his way home from a trip to the United States at the time of the shooting late Thursday night, that left seven bullet holes in his
Sydney home in the drive-by shooting.
Arriving home early Friday, Fenech said he did not know who could have fired the shots.
"I've no idea who did it," he said. "I just hope they can wake up to themselves."
Earlier this year, Fenech had to undergo plastic surgery after being stabbed in the face with a broken bottle.
Fenech, who now manages several boxers, said while "somebody is not happy with me for some reason," he thought the shooting was not connected to the
Jan. 4 attack, for which two brothers have been charged.
But an underworld source told The Australian that a gang has offered the contract as payback for the attack.
"They will get him," the source told the newspaper.
Fenech says he is aware of the threat.
"Someone told me that's what they're saying, but I don't believe it," said Fenech.
Fenech was inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame in 2002. He won the International Boxing Federation bantamweight title in 1985,
followed by the World Boxing Council (WBC) junior featherweight crown in 1987 and the WBC featherweight title in 1988.
He retired in 1996 with a 28-3-1 record with 21 knockouts.