It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: OTHER: TENNIS: Wimbledon day one women's round up

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Jelena Dokic's misery continued on Monday when she crashed out of Wimbledon in the first round for the first time. The 21-year-old Dokic, who reached the semi-finals in 2000 but has since slipped to 25th in the world, lost 6-3 6-3 to Gisela Dulko, of Argentina.

Britain's Amanda Janes produced a valiant effort in a rain-ravaged first-round match on her Wimbledon debut before bowing out in three sets to number 11 seed Ai Sugiyama. The players spent more time off the court than on it before the experienced Japanese number one came from behind to win 3-6 6-2 6-3 against an opponent 234 places below her in the world ranking.

Looking good, feeling fine, but Venus Williams believes she should not laugh too much or she might get injured. Problems with ankles, knees and wrists have cast doubts over the twice former champion's future. Williams committed 11 unforced errors and although the power was there, almost like touching a button, there were certainly signs of rust in the works. But she made few bones about battering first-round opponent Marie-Gayane Mikaelian into a 6-3 6-0 defeat to delight court one at the start of her latest campaign.

French Open champion Anastasia Myskina had to wait until almost 6.30pm to get on to Centre Court at Wimbledon this evening, but wasted little time in booking her place in the second round. The Russian number two seed may only be 22, but she had far too much experience for Wimbledon singles debutant Lubomira Kurhajcova and completed a rapid 7-5 6-1 win in 47 minutes.

Teenage starlet Maria Sharapova began her title bid with a convincing victory. The blonde Russian stormed past Ukranian Yulia Beygelzimer 6-2 6-1 with a highly-impressive serving display. Sharapova, regarded as one of the heaviest servers in the game, did not face a single break point in the match as she dominated her opponent. Many people believe Sharapova can make a Grand Slam breakthrough in SW19 this year and on this form she will be a tough match for anyone.

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Again,i'm not sure who to root for, but I think I'd like to see either Myskina or Dementieva.

Ben

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 10:19 PM
link   
hopefully the william sister get knocked out, i would hate to see an all william final.

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben
hopefully the william sister get knocked out, i would hate to see an all william final.

Amen, I'm tired of hearing about them all the time...

new topics

top topics

join