It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BOXING: New opponent for Macca

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Welsh cruiserweight Enzo Maccarinelli will defend his WBU title against Belgium's Ismail Abdoul on 3 July.

Maccarinelli was due to make his fourth defence against Carlos Cruzat at the Newport Sports Centre, but the Chilean withdrew with an ankle injury

However, the 27-year-old Abdoul, who has 21 wins from 26 fights with 10 knockouts, could be a tougher test.

"Abdoul is a respectable opponent and can give me a sterner test than Cruzat," said Swansea's Maccarinelli.

Abdoul lost on points earlier this year to the well-regarded Vincenzo Cantatore for the European title and last year also went the distance with Rudiger May, another of the division's better boxers.

"The change of challenger hasn't affected my training, which has gone fantastic so far," Maccarinelli added.

"Abdoul has taken Cantatore and May - who are both ranked in the top ten in most of the boxing organisations - the distance.

"I can punch harder than either of these so I will be looking to make a firm statement by knocking out Abdoul."

The 23-year-old Maccarinelli, who has 13 knockouts in 18 fights, last fought in February when he stopped durable Londoner Garry Delaney in eight rounds.

Also featuring on the card is Newbridge super-featherweight Gavin Rees, 2002 Commonwealth Games champion Jamie Arthur, Pontypool welterweight Tony Doherty, Mountain Ash light-heavyweight Nathan King, Abercynon welterweight Taz Jones and Rhondda Valley light-welterweight Barrie Jones, who makes his professional debut.

Story from BBC SPORT:
news.bbc.co.uk...

Published: 2004/06/21 12:16:30 GMT

© BBC MMIV

[Edited on 21-6-2004 by Ocelot]

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Enzo Maccarinelli will defend his WBU cruiserweight title against Ismail Abdoul from Belgium at the Newport Sports Centre on July 3.

The 23 year-old Welshman was to have faced Carlos Cruzat but he was forced out of the fight with an ankle injury. Abdoul, from Ghent, has a record of 21-5-(10), and recently dropped a unanimous 12 round decision to Vincenzo Canatore for the vacant European cruiserweight title but has lost three of his last five.

CLICK HERE FOR FULL STORY

new topics

join