It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BOXING: Magee ready for Reid test

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Brian Magee has just to fine-tune his preparations for the biggest date of his long career against Runcorn's Robin Reid at the King's Hall in Belfast.

A crack at WBA title could be on the table for the winner of Saturday's bout between Britiain's top two super middleweights.

Magee says that all the hard work has been done and it's time to get mentally right for the fight.

''The hard work is over. I'm ready. I'm focusing on Reid,'' said the Ulsterman.

Magee, who retained his IBO super middleweight champion for the seventh time last month, admitted when you do the hard training, you do not think about your opponent.

''When you are sparring and training, working the gym, putting in the rounds and doing the physical stuff, you don't think about the actual fight too much,'' he said.

Now I'm really thinking more about the night. Reid is in my sights.

''All the early concentration is on completing the tough work.

'I'll now focus on the challenge facing me on Saturday night - Robin Reid. It's now mental preparation.

''It's a big fight for me, all about grabbing the opportunity. That's what I intend to do.

''I'm feeling good within myself for the Reid fight, very comfortable.

''I'm not far away weight-wise, because I didn't have too much time off after the Jerry Elliott fight last month.

''There were days during the training programme when I felt I could fight right there and then.''

The 33-year-old Reid is due to arrive in Belfast on Wednesday with the weigh-in at the Europa Hotel on Friday.

Story from BBC SPORT:
news.bbc.co.uk...

Published: 2004/06/21 08:54:06 GMT

© BBC MMIV

new topics

join