It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BOXING: Williams "gets Tyson shot"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Former British heavyweight champion Danny Williams is set to land the best payday of his career when he fights Mike Tyson on 30 July, say reports.

Tyson had been tipped to make his ring comeback against Irishman Kevin McBride, before that deal fell through.

But the 37-year-old American is now expected to square up against Williams, who lost his titles to Michael Sprott.

Williams, 31, stands to earn £600,000 against Tyson, who remains one of the biggest draw cards in world boxing.

Tyson's adviser Shelly Finkel has been promising to announce a firm opponent and date for a matter of weeks.

And he confirmed that Tyson (50-4) is in "great shape" and hungry for a return.

Story from BBC SPORT:
news.bbc.co.uk...

Published: 2004/06/21 03:13:01 GMT

© BBC MMIV

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 06:35 AM
link   
LOUISVILLE, United States : American Mike Tyson will fight Britain's Danny Williams and not Kevin McBride when he returns to the boxing ring on July 30, Maxboxing.com reported.

Tyson, who turns 38 on June 30, was scheduled to meet McBride but he reportedly asked for too much money to fight the aging former heavyweight champ.

"It was a money issue," Tyson's advisor Shelly Finkel told Maxboxing.com.

"I think he's (Williams) a better opponent. He's a former European champion; he's brings English TV, and larger revenue."

CLICK HERE FOR FULL STORY

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Former British heavyweight champion Danny Williams is set for a lucrative showdown with Mike Tyson next month.

Williams is expected to replace Irishman Kevin McBride as Tyson's next opponent in Louisville on July 30.

Problems over money and doubts over McBride's calibre by the American pay-per-view television network Showtime have been cited as reasons for the opponent change.

Williams will receive a career-high purse estimated around £400,000 for facing the former two-time world champion.

Tyson's adviser Shelly Finkel told www.maxboxing.com: "I think he (Williams) is a better opponent. He's a former European champion, he brings English TV and larger revenue."

CLICK HERE FOR FULL STORY

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I am puzzled as to why anyone would pay to see Tyson fight, or want to fight him, he's done. His best action is in the news, thats free.

TRD

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Well i guess he thinks he has some more to give. The way the heavyweight division is i'm thinking that if he could get back a little of the animal instinct he had, he has half a chance of winning a title again.

top topics

join