It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASEBALL: Griffey Jr. Hits 500th Home Run

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 04:39 PM
link   
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Ken Griffey Jr. hit his 500th career home run Sunday in St. Louis, becoming the 20th player in major league history to achieve the feat.

The Cincinnati Reds player reached the milestone by drilling a pitch from Matt Morris over the right field fence to lead off the sixth inning against the St. Louis Cardinals.

"I was so excited," said Griffey. "I got a ball down that I could handle and that was it.

"To finally do it is a monkey off my back."

The Reds won the game 6-0.

Griffey went 5-for-21 with four RBI in the six games since his last home run last Sunday against the Cleveland Indians.

He hadn't come close to hitting a homer since then, until sending a 2-2 pitch from Morris for an estimated 393-foot drive.

Griffey becomes the sixth youngest player to reach 500 home runs. Jimmy Foxx at 32 was the youngest player to do so, while Willie Mays, Sammy Sosa, Hank Aaron and Babe Ruth all reached 500 aged 34, the same as Griffey.

Barry Bonds (676), Sammy Sosa (549) and Rafael Palmeiro (538) are the only other active players with more than 500 homers. Fred McGriff of the Tampa Bay Devil Rays needs seven more to join the select band of players.

Griffey's team mates greeted him at home plate after the home run, before Griffey went to the box seat area and hugged his father, Ken Griffey Sr.

story source

yahoo

TRD

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Well what can you say, he is having a great season so far. The boy has done good!

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Did they grant him his selfish request of wanting the retired broadcasters to call it?

new topics

join