It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: OTHER: TENNIS: Srichaphan clinches title

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Thailand's Paradorn Srichaphan staged a stunning comeback to beat Thomas Johansson and win the Nottingham Open.
Top seed Srichaphan came back from a set and 5-2 down to beat the Swede 1-6 7-6 (7/4) 6-4.

BBC Sport

Johansson, the 2001 champion, was a game from victory before top seed Srichapan battled back to take the set to a tie-break.

Buoyed by his success, Srichapan had a relatively comfortable ride to his first grass court title in the third.

He became the first player in the event's history to lift the title as the number one seed.

"It's a dream to come back and win the match because he was playing really well in the beginning," said Srichaphan after his fifth career title.

"His returning gave me a hard time and I could not really play my game at all."

"Things happen so quickly on grass and I just tried to hold my serve and see if he could serve out for the match."

"At 3-5 and 0-30 down in the second set I was thinking 'this is going to be a quick day for me!' I was telling myself it was not going to be my day."

"But I thought about the final I played in Washington in 2002 against James Blake when I won the first set 6-1 and was a break up in the second but lost the match, and I just tried to make the turn around like that match."

new topics

join