It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASKETBALL: Magic expected to deal McGrady rather than have him opt out

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 08:20 AM
link   
ORLANDO -- Tracy McGrady has reportedly told the Magic that he wants out of Orlando.

McGrady informed the team of his decision in a meeting Friday, the Orlando Sentinel and Florida Today newspapers reported on their Web sites, quoting league sources.
story link

Looks like the management in Orlando really doesn't want to win...

[Edited on 6/21/2004 by Ben]

Ben

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 08:32 AM
link   
whats with all the big names wanting out?

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Seems that no one is happy with were they are. I think the NBA people too often want instant satisfaction, they're not willing to wat a year or two to build a good team, with a mix of veteran leadership and young raw talent. Detriot is a good example of an exception to that, though.

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 02:42 PM
link   
McGrady is another big mouth that I'm not surprised is on the market.

Gibbs, if the Pistons are an exception to what most teams want, but they win the Championship then why do you think the other teams wanting to have different types of players

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Well, the last couple of seasons there have been major changes in NBA personnel, between big time stars and head coaches. True, Detriot changed thier head coach after last year, but the majority of the players stayed the same. and it worked. I think that is an example that other teams should try to emulate, rather then changing everything year to year.

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 03:18 PM
link   
i think alot of gms have problems finding players who mesh well together or fit well together under a certain system. For detroit dumars found players who all work together perfectly and all understand the defensive system that was to be put in place. I really dont know what the hell is going on in orlando but its a bad situation. If mcgrady were smart he would stick around with a healthy grant hill coming back, gooden getting better, and a #1 pick coming into the lineup. Instead of bitching why not try to come together as a team and do what it takes to win. I know grant hill is that type of player, but i think mcgrady seems too selfish or something...he needs things his way or else it wont work which isnt what u want in a player. I think the best new example of a really good team player is lebron james....i think he really seems to have a good head on his shoulders and knows what it takes to win, which doesnt involve always getting what u want. Good team basketball is what always wins championships. Just sticking god players together doesnt mean it will be a good team, and alot of gms or coaches dont see that.

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 03:19 PM
link   
i also think its ridiculous what orlando is asking the other teams for for T-Mac......like amare stoudamire, shawn marion, and another player for t-mac.....jsut absurd to me. I dont see who would ever make a trade like that.

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 02:50 AM
link   
I wouldn't even trade Amare stoudamire as a straight swap for T-Mac....especially considering the lack of good big men in the Nba right now.

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Osobad28
If mcgrady were smart he would stick around with a healthy grant hill coming back, gooden getting better, and a #1 pick coming into the lineup. Instead of bitching why not try to come together as a team and do what it takes to win.

I think the best new example of a really good team player is lebron james....i think he really seems to have a good head on his shoulders and knows what it takes to win, which doesnt involve always getting what u want. Good team basketball is what always wins championships. Just sticking good players together doesnt mean it will be a good team, and alot of gms or coaches dont see that.

Yeah, I have to agree with you osobad. T-mac should stay in Orlando, they'd have on ehell of a good team next year.

And bron-bron is the real deal, he's going to have several championships before this thing is through.

Ben

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 09:36 AM
link   
who would want to trade that many people for just one player?

I dont think a whole team is worth 1 guy, sure he puts up like 20 something a game and maybe 30 something a game, but is it worth all those players?

No, a team is more than just one person, and the Magic better cut down what they are asking for or MacGrady is going to opt out of his contract.

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 03:43 PM
link   
The Magic need a big man and a point guard in exchange for T-Mac. All the local papers have Xed him out in Florida, maybe this has something to do with him wanting out. Orlando needs a strong leader, TMac has the talent but doesnt run the game like they want him to.

No, a team is more than just one person, and the Magic better cut down what they are asking for or MacGrady is going to opt out of his contract.

You got any insider news of possible deals?

[Edited on 6/21/04 by jrod]

[Edited on 6/21/04 by jrod]

Ben

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Jim Gray reports that the Rockets and Magic have finalized a deal to send Tracy McGrady to Houston -- provided none of the other principal names in the multi-player trade are selected in Tuesday's expansion draft.

The trade also includes Juwan Howard to Houston, while Orlando will get Steve Francis, Cuttino Mobley and Kelvin Cato in return. Of those five players, McGrady and Francis are protected and cannot be drafted by the Bobcats. If Charlotte passes on Howard, Mobley and Cato, then the deal is done, Gray reports.

To make the trade work financially under the salary-cap rules, the Magic would also send Tyronn Lue to Houston.

Jeff Fried, Francis' agent, told the Houston Chronicle on Monday that Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson told him the trade was not complete but was close.

This is the deal that is in the works right now, personally i think the the Rockets are giving up to much for T-mAc as Francis and Mobley have really grown into this team along with Yao Ming, and Ming wont see the ball as much with T-Mac and such.

top topics

join