It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASKETBALL: Detroit honors NBA champs at parade

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 03:52 PM
link   
DETROIT (AP) - Detroit Pistons owner William Davidson waved from the back of a pickup truck Thursday while thousands of fans lined downtown streets for a parade honoring the NBA champions.

"I don't have the words for it," said Pistons forward Rasheed Wallace, who is rarely speechless. "I'm just feeling all good inside."

Wallace, wearing a Detroit Red Wings jersey with ice hockey Hall of Famer Gordie Howe's No. 9, videotaped the scene as his convertible made its way along the route on an overcast day.

Coach Larry Brown sat on the back of a truck, wearing a Detroit Tigers baseball cap and a jersey with Tigers catcher Pudge Rodriguez's No. 7.

"I hope our team reflects what this city is about," Brown said. "We've got the best fans."

The Pistons won the NBA title Tuesday night by beating the Los Angeles Lakers 100-87 in Game 5. This was the first time the Pistons won the championship since capturing titles in 1989 and 1990.

Davidson, an 81-year-old billionaire, was in the back seat of a black pickup that was followed by a pickup carrying Michigan Gov. Jennifer Granholm.

A truck carrying forward Tayshaun Prince, wearing an oversized, striped top hat, stopped briefly and was instantly surrounded by autograph seekers.

"We worked so hard just to have this kind of appreciation, and it's so great to see the fans come out," said Chauncey Billups, selected as the Most Valuable Player of the playoff finals.

Center Ben Wallace delighted the crowd by taking a spare souvenir T-shirt and polishing the NBA championship trophy with exaggerated strokes.

"This is absolutely fantastic," Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick said while holding one of his twin sons. "The city is proud. You couldn't ask for anything better."

"I think the newspapers, the media, had it right - basketball is the ultimate unifier," said Kilpatrick, who has criticized what he considers negative coverage of the city. "We're bringing everybody together. The spirit of Detroit is alive and well, and it's a real movement in the city of Detroit."

Ben

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 10:55 PM
link   
the owner is getting a show this year first with the lightning and now with the pistons.

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben
the owner is getting a show this year first with the lightning and now with the pistons.

Lucky! I'll bet theres a fair bit of cash making it to him because of all of that. I wish I had the cash to buy a team

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben

don't forget, although maybe less significant, he won the WNBA championship with the Detroit Shock

top topics

join