It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: HOCKEY: Flyers sign C Umberger

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 03:19 PM
link   
PHILADELPHIA (AP) - The Philadelphia Flyers did something the New York Rangers were unable to, signing center R.J. Umberger to a two-year contract.

Selected 16th overall by Vancouver in 2001, Umberger had his rights traded to the Rangers in the deal involving Martin Rucinsky on March 9. But New York was unable to agree on a contract with Umberger, who became an unrestricted free agent on June 1.

The 22-year-old Umberger collected 58 goals and 71 assists in 112 games over three seasons with Ohio State. He did not play last season but was a finalist for the Hobey Baker Award after the 2002-03 campaign.

"Umberger is very highly skilled, a top-end offensive player," Flyers general manager Bob Clarke said. "Certainly like most young players, he has some defensive stuff to work on, but we think that he has a chance to be a really good National Hockey League player."

Umberger led Ohio State in assists and points in each of his three seasons and was first in goals in his final two campaigns. He was named CCHA Rookie of the Year in 2000-01 and made the Academic All-Big Ten Team after the 2001-02 and 2002-03 seasons.

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I've never heard of Umberger before, he sounds ok but if they dont play I guess it wont matter, eh?

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I've never heard of him either, but it looks like he puts up some offensive numbers. They're going to need some good young talent as I'm sure they'll be losing a few of the veterans.

join