It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: HOCKEY: Hasek leaving Detroit

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 03:03 PM
link   
PRAGUE, Czech Republic (AP) - Goaltender Dominik Hasek won't play for the Detroit Red Wings next season. Hasek said Ottawa is one of the teams he would be interested in joining, and added he wants to be on a club that has a chance to win the Stanley Cup.

"The decision should be taken no later than the beginning of July," he said in Thursday's edition of the Sport daily. "At the moment I can only confirm that I won't be in Detroit next season."

A call from The Associated Press to Hasek's agent, Rich Winter, wasn't immediately returned.

The 39-year-old Hasek underwent groin surgery in Prague in April, and went to recover in his hometown of Pardubice, 60 miles east of Prague.

"I feel good, very good," Hasek said.

Hasek came out of a one-year retirement last season to rejoin the Red Wings, but the groin injury limited him to just 14 games.

He won two MVP awards and six Vezina Trophies in a nine-year stint in Buffalo. He also led the Czech Republic to a gold medal at the 1998 Nagano Olympics.

Hasek joined the Red Wings before the 2001-02 season, winning his first Stanley Cup that season. He retired in 2002, but came back to Detroit before last season.

new topics

join