It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: OTHER: TENNIS: Jelena Dokic falls to Tina Pisnik at Eastbourne

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 01:58 PM
link   
EASTBOURNE, England (AP) - Former Wimbledon semifinalist Jelena Dokic struggled again Tuesday, losing to Slovenia's Tina Pisnik 6-2, 6-2 in the first round of the Eastbourne grass-court tournament.

Dokic committed nine double-faults in her 49-minute loss. Her singles record this year dropped to 6-7.

"My game in general is a problem right now," Dokic said. "Not just the serve or the returning. My confidence is very low. That cannot be much of a surprise to anybody."

Fifth-seeded Silvia Farina Elia of Italy also lost while seventh-seeded Francesca Schiavone of Italy, Daniela Hantuchova of Slovakia and Conchita Martinez of Spain were among those to advance.

Dokic made it to the Wimbledon semis in 2000 and was in the top five two years ago. She is now ranked 25th.

"I just have to get more matches and not worry about it, but it is not easy when you keep losing," Dokic said. "It means you can't have as many matches."

Hantuchova, another former top-five player, beat Amy Frazier of the United States 7-5, 3-6, 6-2.

"I'm really glad the way I fought back in the first set," Hantuchova said. "I had some chances, too, in the second set, but I'm glad I was fighting in the third."

Hantuchova was ranked fifth in January 2003 but ended the year 19th and is now 54th.

"I have put last year totally behind me and am just concentrating on the future," she said. "I'm physically in good shape and really excited to be back on grass."

Martinez, who won Wimbledon in 1994, downed Lisa Raymond of the United States 3-6, 6-2, 6-0.

Farina Elia lost 7-5, 6-0 to Russia's Elena Bovina, and Schiavone ousted Australia's Alicia Molik 2-6, 7-5, 7-6 (2).

Top-seeded Amelie Mauresmo of France had a bye and will face British wild card Amanda Janes in the second round.

new topics

join