It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: GOLF: Furyk plans to defend his title

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 03:52 PM
link   
SOUTHAMPTON, N.Y. (AP) - U.S. Open champion Jim Furyk, expected to be out until July while recovering from wrist surgery, showed up at Shinnecock Hills over the weekend and said he planned to defend his title.

"Obviously, being here is a big step," Furyk said Monday before playing nine holes.

Furyk said he would play nine holes each practice round at Shinnecock Hills before deciding whether he is strong enough to play when the tournament begins Thursday. He said there was no risk of further injuring his wrist unless he did something really violent with the club.

Furyk, who tied the 72-hole scoring record at Olympia Fields last year for his first victory at a major, had surgery March 22 to repair torn cartilage in his left wrist.

He said then he would be out for three to six months. That made the U.S. Open a long shot at best, and even raised questions whether he could play in the Ryder Cup.

But the recovery went quickly, and Furyk played his first full round last Wednesday at Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla. By Friday morning, he was looking for a place to stay on Long Island.

"I'm not fooling myself. I'm not fooling anybody else," Furyk said. "I haven't played tournament golf in six months. I'll be grinding it out."

join