It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: AUTO: Schumacher wins Candian Grand Prix

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Michael Schumacher again proved the master of Montreal as he broke yet another record with victory in the Canadian Grand Prix. The seemingly unstoppable Ferrari star became the first driver to win a race seven times as he has previously been a winner at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve in 1994, '97, '98, 2000, '02 and '03.

But hours after the race had finished, Williams and Toyota were disqualified. The air ducts which cool the braking systems on the cars of both teams have been found to contravene regulations. It means the results of Ralf Schumacher, who was second and Juan Pablo Montoya who was fifth for Williams and those of Cristiano da Matta, who had collected a point for eighth and Olivier Panis for Toyota now no longer count towards the drivers' and constructors' championships.

BBC Sport

Michael Schumacher insisted there was no specific reason why he has enjoyed such success at the Canadian GP after his win in Montreal on Sunday. The world champion's victory made him the first driver to win the same Grand Prix seven times.

"I have no special reason why I have won so often here. I probably just had a good package and a bit of luck," insisted Schumacher.

"Our competitors had problems, which worked in our favour."

While Williams and BAR opted for a three-stop strategy Ferrari decided to only make two trips to the pits and Schumacher was pleased that their strategy had proved superior.

"We thought on Saturday that we had no chance for pole so we worked our strategy for the race," said Schumacher. "The car preparation was fantastic."

"Rubens (Barrichello) pushed me very hard at one point and he was very strong but we managed to do it again and it is just fabulous."

Ferrari looked on course for a one-two until second Ferrari driver Barrichello made an unplanned trip across the grass shortly after his second pit stop. Before going into the pits Barrichello had been right behind his team-mate and looked as though he had a quicker car than Schumacher at that point of the race.

new topics

join