It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: FOOTBALL: Offseason programs, minicamps take toll on players, Vincent says

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 10:41 AM
link   
ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- With an ever-increasing demand on an NFL player's spare time, Troy Vincent wonders when enough is enough.

Between offseason conditioning programs and mandatory and voluntary minicamp sessions, the Buffalo Bills' star cornerback and newly elected NFL Players Association president worries when players have time to develop away from the field.

"I do understand that right now I'm a professional football player," Vincent said following a minicamp practice Thursday. "But at the same time, I want to be able to walk away from this game and talk about what this game has done for me both personally and professionally."

Vincent doesn't think every player is getting that opportunity, which could be detrimental to the game, its players and, ultimately, the NFL image.

"I think about the integrity of the game," said Vincent. "The better our product, the smarter our player, the better our game is... And the offseason workout program is in conflict with developing the man side."

original story link - CBS

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I'm sorry, but I don't feel any sympathy for these guys. They get a free ride to college, which should prepare them for life after professional sports. And the average salary of a professional athlete is at least in the 6 figure range. What's the average salary of sports fans? I'd bet it's in the $30,000 range.

And they have to audacity to complain that the NFL doesn't prepare them enough for life after thier sports career???

I just don't get it. Professional athletes used to have to work another job in the off-season to make ends meet. And those guys did it, and were happy to play the game. The modern pro should have a college degree, plus name recognition, putting them 50 steps ahead of the average Joe who gets out of college looking for a job.

Quit your friggin whining!

join