It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: GOLF: Two share lead at LaSalle Bank Open

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Glenview, IL (AP) - D.A. Points posted a three-under 68 on Saturday to join Mark Wilson atop the leaderboard after three rounds of the LaSalle Bank Open. Wilson, who carded a 67, and Points are knotted at 13- under-par 200 at The Glen Club.

Brendan Jones fired a seven-under 64 in the third round and is tied for third place with Mike Springer, who shared the second-round lead with Points. Springer shot a 69 on Saturday and is tied with Jones at minus-12.

Points was five-under through 13 holes and opened a commanding lead over the field. He came back thanks to three bogies over his final five holes, including a six at the par-five closing hole.

"I'm still tied for the lead," said Points, who won the 2001 Inland Empire Open. "If someone would have given me three-under before the round I would have taken it."

This marks the second consecutive year that Points held at least a piece of the 54-hole lead at this event. Last year, he struggled to a three-over 74 and finished three behind eventual winner Andre Stolz.

"Tomorrow I think I can come out and shoot five- or six-under and hopefully close the door," said Points. "I'm prepared. I've played so much golf in the last couple of weeks."

Wilson was one-under through his front nine, but vaulted up the leaderboard with three birdies in a four-hole span from the 11th. He parred his final four holes and is in position for victory No. 1 on the Nationwide Tour.

"I'm in good position heading into the final round," said Wilson, whose best finish on tour was a tie for eighth at the 2002 SAS Carolina Classic. "I haven't been in this position in a while so tomorrow will be exciting."

Fran Quinn and Mathew Goggin each shot rounds of three-under 68 and are tied for fifth place at 11-under-par 202. Scott Gump (65), Scott Petersen (66), Brett Wetterich (69) and 2002 U.S. Amateur Champion Ricky Barnes (69) share seventh at minus-10.

join