It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASEBALL: Mariners Move Suzuki to 3rd in Bat Order

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 07:53 PM
link   
SEATTLE(AP) - In an effort to jump-start his struggling offense, Seattle Mariners manager Bob Melvin moved Ichiro Suzuki from the leadoff spot to No. 3 in the batting order for Saturday night's game against Montreal.

The last-place Mariners ended a 29-inning scoreless innings streak with Pat Borders' run-scoring single in the ninth inning for a 1-0 victory over the Expos on Friday night. They hadn't scored a run since Monday night.

"I said all along, if we have some struggles in the middle of the order and we felt like we weren't scoring some runs, it got to a point where we needed to change things up a little bit," Melvin said. "This is the day."

Saturday night's game was only the fourth that Suzuki, 30, has batted third in the majors. Former Mariners manager Lou Piniella used Suzuki as his No. 3 hitter June 2-4, 2002, and he went 8-for-14, including 4-for-5 at Baltimore on June 2.

This spring, Melvin used Suzuki as his No. 3 hitter in an exhibition game against San Diego on March 6. Melvin considers Suzuki to be the best leadoff hitter in baseball, and expects him to be back in that spot soon.

"I don't envision him being our No. 3 hitter for the rest of the season," he said. "I'm just trying to give a different look here."

The Mariners have been shut out seven times this season, including Tuesday and Wednesday nights by Houston, the most in the AL this season. Their 240 runs going into Saturday night's game were the fewest in the league.

"Obviously, we've been having a tough time scoring runs," Melvin said. "Sometimes when you change things up a little bit, guys are in different spots and it kind of takes the pressure off a little bit. We're trying to mix it up. That's all it is."

Suzuki, a three-time All-Star, is hitting .335 with three homers, 22 RBIs and 15 stolen bases.

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 08:10 PM
link   
You know your team sucks at hitting when a true power hitter like I chiro is hiiting 3rd. Thats just pathetic

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 09:32 PM
link   
ichiro is far from a pure power hitter, he has only 3 home runs this year, his speed makes him a natural lead off hitter, i thiink this is a good move, as the mariner offense is terrible this year, ichiro has a good batting average with men on base, might be able to drive a few runs in, melvin has to do something to shake this club up

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 10:07 PM
link   
HIRAM HOMERS!!!!!!..hiram bocacnica hit his first home run as a mariner and the 11th of his career to give the m's a 2-0 lead against montreal.....gotta just love that name

new topics

top topics

join