It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chicago home to basic life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2003 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Chicago has been found to be the home of the most alkaline life forms on the planet! It was reported in science blog that microbial communities were living in slag dumps in the Lake Calumet region. The water can reach a pH of 12.8!

Just goes to show how life can adapt to the most extreme conditions. Here's the link:

www.scienceblog.com...

Enjoy!

posted on Dec, 8 2003 @ 03:38 PM
link   
It's a great town! Home to great football and bad baseball (well, that's how I remember it...)

I remember a story of a couple of the water treatment release point having water so clean that freshwater sponges have taken to growing in them.

This is only remarkable because the water quality has to be so good, so clean for sponges to live in it.

I'll try to find the article.

hrxll

posted on Dec, 8 2003 @ 03:44 PM
link   
They only shut Oak Street Beach down, how many times this year? I think it was 3 or 4. Alkalai was was too high.

I LOVE MY CITY!

posted on Dec, 8 2003 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I thought they shut the beach down because the e-coli levels were too high. If chicago is developing new forms of life, well, we're the new eden!

his is only remarkable because the water quality has to be so good, so clean for sponges to live in it.

I can't tell...Is that sarcastic, or not?

posted on Dec, 8 2003 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
I thought they shut the beach down because the e-coli levels were too high. If chicago is developing new forms of life, well, we're the new eden!

his is only remarkable because the water quality has to be so good, so clean for sponges to live in it.

OOOOPS! I meant e-coli, not alkalai. I stand corrected

I can't tell...Is that sarcastic, or not?

posted on Dec, 13 2003 @ 10:17 PM
link   
It used to be worse. Do you remember the fecal greaseballs?

posted on Dec, 14 2003 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by HowardRoark
It used to be worse. Do you remember the fecal greaseballs?

What a geat name for a band!!!

new topics

top topics

join