It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BOXING: Sturm's promoters lodge complaint

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Felix Sturm's promoters have filed a protest to the WBO over his defeat by Oscar de la Hoya last week.Universum Box-Promotion made the decision after middleweight champion Sturm lost his title last at the MGM Grand Arena in Las Vegas.

All three judges scored the contest 115:113 in favor of de la Hoya.

"Almost every boxing expert in Germany and in the USA disagreed with the result", promoter Klaus-Peter Kohl retorted.

"They all saw Felix Sturm as the winner. We believe that the official decision was incorrect."

"Perhaps the judges in Las Vegas were distracted by the overwhelming presence of the upcoming big fight between Oscar de la Hoya and Bernard Hopkins which was already scheduled."

"Going into the fight everybody was certain that de la Hoya would beat Felix."

Strong arguments for believing Felix Sturm was the true winner are delivered by the punchstat of Compubox. Based on their numbers Felix Sturm landed 234 of his punches whereas Oscar de la Hoya only landed 188 times.

Sturm had an even clearer edge with his punch accuracy. The German landed 43% of his punches whereas the American only landed 24%.

"What should count most in boxing are the punches you land on your opponent", Kohl added.

"According to the punch statistic Felix landed more punches than de la Hoya in nine of the 12 rounds."

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I personally think the fight was a DRAW. I had it 114-114. But a couple of those rounds could have gone either way. I didn't think DLH did enough to earn a victory here. He underestimated the great Felix Sturm and he was lucky the judges gave him the win.

TRD

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Will they do anything about it though? What can they do?

I guess a rematch would be fair.

new topics

join