It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: AUTO: Ferrari refute cheating slur

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Ferrari technical director Ross Brawn has vehemently refuted the latest allegation of 'cheating' directed at the team. Rumours are circulating the Maranello marque have been using a special chemical with which they spray their Bridgestone tyres to give them added grip during qualifying.

The initial suggestion was that rival tyre manufacturers Michelin had instigated the stories to discredit Ferrari and Bridgestone, but motorsport director Pierre Dupasquier has strongly denied any involvement.

Brawn, meanwhile, is perplexed at the lengths some people would strive to undermine a winning team and has laughed off the speculation.

"Why would we want to do it?" questioned Brawn.

"We've a fantastic car with great tyres, the best driver, so we are not going to mess around with stuff like that."

"It's quite an involved process anyway. It's not something you could do discreetly, and it's illegal so we just wouldn't do it."

"I don't know where these stories come from because Michelin say they are not doing it, we are saying we're not doing it, and we're the people who should know, and the FIA are saying we're not doing it."

"We wouldn't do it on principle and we wouldn't do it because of the situation we have here."

Story Source

Sportinglife

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I wouldn't be surprised if they were finding some way to cheat, what with winning every race and all. Either they have, or the Ferraris are just one helluva lot better

TRD

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 08:48 AM
link   
To be honest i can't see them cheating the cars have been far superior for a few years now. They have the best driver in racing driving for them. There is no need to cheat but you never know what teams will do to guarentee a win.

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Well, 'tire soaking' has plagued all motorsports for years. As soon as detection technology catches up, some new chemical comes out.

This is a serious safety issue.

Having been at a modified race, and witnessing a tire explode in a team trailer sending a crew member to the hospital, and finding out it was due to 'tire soaking'.

These guys stretch the rules, and cross over safety lines, in the pursuit of speed.

TRD

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Ferrari won't rule out legal action against the purveyors of a vicious rumour.

Speculation at the Nurburgring track claimed Ferrari was 'cheating' by spraying an illegal chemical on its Bridgestone tyres to aid grip during qualifying.

"I don't know if we can [take legal action]," said Ross Brawn.

The team's Technical Director, who first thought Michelin might be behind the story, said if Ferrari discovers the whisperer, "we would have a stern word."

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 08:23 AM
link   
ooohhhh...smirkley...i love the modifieds, i used to live in ny and would travel around with them and watch races the whole weekend...dutch hoag, maynard troyer, the triechler brothers, that was some great racing, what track do you go to?

new topics

top topics

join