It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: OTHER: Dokic upset by American qualifier

page: 1

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 04:36 PM
BIRMINGHAM, England (AP) - American qualifier Shenay Perry pulled off an upset at the DFS Classic grass-court tournament Wednesday, beating former champion Jelena Dokic in straight sets.

The 19-year-old Perry, ranked 88th, won 6-4, 7-6 (4) over a player who won the tournament in 2002 and reached the Wimbledon semifinals four years ago.

"It's the biggest win of my career, so I hope to move on to bigger things," Perry said.

Perry, of Coral Springs, Florida, adapted well to the grass and played occasional serve-and-volley tennis. She played solidly in the tiebreaker to close out the match after a Dokic double fault handed her a crucial edge.

"She hit the ball really flat and deep," Perry said. "I tried to play offense as well, but I played pretty good defense, too."

At one stage in the second set after serving three double faults to drop a service game, the fifth-seeded Dokic threw down her racket and broke it. She escaped without a code violation.

"I was annoyed because I had a chance to win," she said. "It's more annoying to have a chance to win and losing rather than just getting beaten."

Also out was Eleni Daniilidou of Greece, who retired from her match with Japan's Akiko Morigami with an Achilles strain. Defending champion Magdalena Maleeva rallied from a set and two breaks down to beat Germany's Anca Barna and reach the third round. The fourth-seeded Bulgarian, once ranked No. 4 in the world, trailed 6-3, 3-0 before recovering to win 3-6, 6-4, 6-3.

"I realized the match was slipping away, and at one point it didn't look like I would make it," Maleeva said. "I just kept going mentally and tried not to lose patience. But I don't think I ever played very well."

In the third round, Maleeva plays Thailand's Tamarine Tanasugarn. She beat Jill Craybas of the United States 6-1, 7-5.

new topics