It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASEBALL: Garciaparra to be activated Wednesday

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 04:26 PM
link   
BOSTON (AP) - Red Sox shortstop Nomar Garciaparra planned to make his major league season debut Wednesday night against the San Diego Padres. The Red Sox said Garciaparra would be activated from the disabled list before the game and would play shortstop and bat fifth.

He missed 57 games after injuring his right Achilles' tendon when he fouled a ball off his heel during spring training.

"We're going to play a few games and mix in a few days off," Garciaparra told reporters before Wednesday's game. "I don't know when those will be just yet."

"I don't think I'll be 100 percent for a long time," he said.

But he said doctors and trainers had advised him he should not expect his lingering injury to affect his ability to perform on the field.

Asked if he was taking his time coming back, he responded, "If I was taking my time, I'd be back in August."

Garciaparra went 5-for-21 (.238) with one homer on a rehabilitation assignment with Triple-A Pawtucket. He had just eight spring training at-bats before injuring the heel on March 17.

Red Sox outfielder Trot Nixon was expected to play for Pawtucket on Thursday, a spokesman for the minor league team said. Nixon suffered a back injury during spring training, then injured his left thigh muscle while recovering. He has yet to make his 2004 major league debut.

Nixon played five innings in the first game of a doubleheader for Single-A Sarasota on a rehab assignment Tuesday night. He went two-for-three with a double, an RBI and a run scored.

join