It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: GOLF: Sorenstam, Park to duel at LPGA Championship

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 04:15 PM
link   
WILMINGTON, Delaware (AP) - It is Grace Park not Annika Sorenstam who has a chance at winning all four LPGA majors. After capturing her sixth LPGA Player of the Year Award in 2003, Sorenstam looked for additional motivation and set a lofty goal of winning all four majors in the same year.

But the Swedish superstar instead tied for 13th at the Nabisco Championship in March while Park walked away with her first win in a major. The two will meet again in the second major of the year when the McDonald's LPGA Championship, a $1.6 million event, begins Thursday at the DuPont Country Club.

While Sorenstam has won a whopping 51 tournaments, she remains disappointed with her performance at the Nabisco.

"I felt really good about my game, and things just didn't click that week for whatever reason," Sorenstam said. "Maybe I put a lot of pressure on myself, or when I want something badly, I try too hard."

Sorenstam instead has modified her goals and now hopes to win the next three majors.

"I love the challenge," Sorenstam said. "I love to see if I can win when I want to win."

Sorenstam defeated Park in a playoff to win this event last year and has just a slim $114,511 lead over Park in the LPGA money list. Park may be the next threat to Sorenstam's domination of the LPGA Tour.

"I'm not surprised to see her up there at all because I've always respected Grace's game," Sorenstam said of her Korean opponent. "I always thought she was a really good player. And most of all, I like her attitude. She's really motivated."

In addition to her win at the Nabisco, the 25-year-old Park also has three runner-up finishes this year. She has won five LPGA events, but admits winning all four majors in the same year would be a monumental task.

"I'm not going to get too far ahead of myself," Park said. "Obviously, my goal this year was to win one major championship, and after winning the first major I changed it to winning two major championships. If I'm fortunate to win this one, I'll go for three."

Winning a major is never easy, however. he tournament also features Karrie Webb of Australia, who won for the first time in nine months last week at the Kellog-Keebler Classic. A winner of six majors, Webb has 21 top-10 finishes in 33 career majors. he field includes 2003 Rookie of the Year Lorena Ochoa, who picked up her first win three weeks ago at the Franklin American Mortgage Championship. The native of Mexico has six top-10 finishes this year.

The par-72 DuPont course measures 6,408 yards. First prize is $240,000. The LPGA Championship will be one of three LPGA majors in the next eight weeks. The U.S. Women's Open is scheduled for July 1-4 and the Women's British Open is from July 29-August 1.

new topics

join