It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: OTHER: Ian Flanagan strikes again at the Stella Artois

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Ian Flanagan received a standing ovation after another stunning win in the Stella Artois Championship. But he must wait and see if his second stunning victory in the Stella Artois Championship is enough to earn a Wimbledon wild card.

The world number 866 caused one of the biggest upsets in tennis history by beating last year's Wimbledon finalist Mark Philippoussis on Tuesday. And he was equally impressive on Wednesday in beating world number 78 Victor Hanescu who defeated 2001 Wimbledon champion Goran Ivanisevic in the previous round 7-6 6-3 to earn a standing ovation from a capacity court one crowd.

BBC Sport

He held his nerve to win a tight first- set tiebreak and then raised his game further to seal another famous victory. Hanescu's bigger serve made him favourite for the tiebreak but Flanagan raced into a 6-1 lead and, despite losing two set points on his own serve, took the set with a forehand winner.

He broke his 6ft 6in opponent twice in the second set and clinched a throughly-deserved triumph when Hanescu double-faulted. Flanagan was joined in the third round by fellow Briton Jonathan Marray, who defeated compatriot Jamie Delgado 6-4 6-3.

Marray, who received a wildcard into this event and also has one for Wimbledon after improving his ranking to 277, faces former Wimbledon champion Lleyton Hewitt in the last 16.

"I have not being doing a huge amount differently but I'm now getting the right amount of help.

"I've got a coach with me all the time giving me advice on every match and every practice session. That has been the biggest help," said the 23-year-old.

Marray, part of the British Davis Cup squad for the tie with Luxembourg earlier this year, says he will try to take the game to Hewitt.

[Edited on 9/6/04 by TRD]

join