It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: HOCKEY: Coates named GM of Mighty Ducks

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 07:14 PM
link   
ANAHEIM, California (AP) - Al Coates was appointed interim general manager of the Anaheim Mighty Ducks on Tuesday. He replaces Bryan Murray, who left the team to coach the Ottawa Senators.

Coates, who has spent 34 years working in pro hockey, has been with the Ducks since April 2003 and was vice president of business operations. Coates previously worked as the general manager of the Calgary Flames from 1995-00 and was instrumental in acquiring Jarome Iginla and Robyn Regehr.

"We are fortunate to have someone of Als caliber in our organization," said Jay Rasulo, president of Walt Disney Parks & Resorts, which owns the NHL team. "Al's previous experience as an NHL general manager allows him to step into this new position immediately."

Murray became coach of the Ducks in May 2001 and was later named senior vice president and general manager. He led the Ducks to the Stanley Cup finals in 2003 after the Ducks won the Western Conference title.

"There are times when you have to make difficult decisions in life," Murray said. "I'm leaving behind many great people and an outstanding organization. This is a good opportunity for me to get back into coaching and a chance to do something where my family becomes a priority in my life."

new topics

join