It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: FOOTBALL: Parcells apologizes for remark

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 12:46 PM
link   
IRVING, Texas (AP) - Dallas Cowboys coach Bill Parcells apologized for calling the surprise plays used in practice "Jap plays," saying the remark was inappropriate.

Parcells was talking Monday to reporters at the team's minicamp about how his quarterbacks coach and defensive coordinator try to outdo each other when he made the comment, an apparent reference to Japan's 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor, Hawaii.

"You've got to keep an eye on those two, because they're going to try to get the upper hand," Parcells said about Sean Payton and Mike Zimmer. "Mike wants the defense to do well, and Sean, he's going to have a few ... no disrespect for the Orientals, but what we call Jap plays. OK, surprise things."

Akira Kuboshima, the editor of Japan's American Football Magazine who was in the room, said he wasn't offended but believed some people would be. He also said he was surprised more by the reaction of other reporters than the comment.

"There is a lot of chance for someone to feel offended," Kuboshima said. "To me, it was no big deal."

Cowboys spokesman Rich Dalrymple apologized on behalf of the organization, and Parcells later issued a statement.

"I made a very inappropriate reference, and although I prefaced it with the remark, 'no disrespect to anyone intended,' it was still uncalled for and inconsiderate," Parcells said in the statement. "For that I apologize to anyone who may have been offended."

The remark was only part of Parcells' 45-minute session with reporters, in which he also talked about the team's quarterback competition and some of the new players.

new topics

join