It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: HOCKEY: Tampa Tribune run wrong story

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 12:42 PM
link   
TAMPA, Florida (AP) - The Tampa Tribune apologized to its readers and the Tampa Bay Lightning on Tuesday after mistakenly running an editorial saying the ice hockey team had lost Game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals.

Publisher Gil Thelen said it was unclear how the mistake was made on Monday night as the newspaper rushed to press following the Lightning's 2-1 victory over the Calgary Flames in Game 7. The Tribune had prepared two editorials - one for a win and one for a loss. But despite placing the correct editorial in its computerized page-making system, the one prepared for a loss appeared in the newspaper's 275,000 copies.

Thelen and Tribune Editor Frank Denton said the newspaper was investigating the error to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Editorial Page Editor Rosemary Goudreau issued a statement on the newspaper's affiliated Web site, TBO.com, telling readers "We took a puck in the gut this morning."

The incorrect editorial that appeared in the paper opened, "The Tampa Bay Lightning didn't win the National Hockey League's Stanley Cup last night. But the team had a championship season nevertheless."

The correct editorial, which didn't get in the paper, lauded the Lightning and credited the team for generating pride and excitement in the community.

A similar mistake happened to the New York Post last October when early editions of the paper carried an editorial bemoaning the Yankees' loss to the Boston Red Sox in the American League playoffs. But the Yankees had staged a late rally to tie Game 7 and then won in extra innings.

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 03:26 PM
link   
All I can say is OOPS. Its good that they owned up to it real quick and made a joke out of it.

Mistakes happen. Looks like they have handled it well.

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 09:56 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 10:02 PM
link   
i heard about this on the radio this morning, big oops there. kind of makes me think of some chicago paper (i think that's who did it) that ran that Dewey beat Truman in the presidential race in who know's what year, so it's not without precident, but come on it's your home town team a little proofreading by a 5 year old could have fixed this problem before it started. or perhaps they were so hammered from all the celebrating it seemed like it would be funny, or here's another thought.....marketing genius, after the word is out that the paper printed the wrong story, everyone and their dog goes out and buy's a paper or two thus running up sales. what can i say i'm a conspiracy theorist (sometimes).

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by aegis fang
kind of makes me think of some chicago paper (i think that's who did it) that ran that Dewey beat Truman in the presidential race in who know's what year

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Good point aegis, could've been a marketing ploy. I'll bet everyone in Florida bought two of them.

TRD

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Hey great one in finding the real article they posted PA.

Yea i guess Aegis its a great way to get extra sales and advertising the paper.

Ben

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 07:06 PM
link   
i sitll dont get how you can print the wrong story

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben
i sitll dont get how you can print the wrong story

Since the newspapers have to be ready very early in the morning, there isn't much time after a game to write an article so they write two stories beforehand, one if they win and one for if they lose. They just posted the wrong story, its been done before as aegis pointed out.

new topics

top topics

join