It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: HOCKEY: The Tampa Bay Lightning Win The Stanley Cup!!!

page: 1

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 09:53 PM
They did it. He did it. Dave Andreychuk and the Tampa Bay Lightning win Lord Stanley's Cup. Ruslan Fedotenko led the way with 2 goals to give the Lightning a 2-1 win over the Calgary Flames!!! Things were looking shaky late in the 3rd, Calgary put up more shots than they did during the first 2 periods. But the Boulin Wall held firm.

Box Score
Associated Press
TAMPA, Fla. -- No, Canada. The Stanley Cup not only isn't headed north, the Tampa Bay Lightning are taking it south.

Ruslan Fedotenko scored twice, including the critical first goal just as he did in the conference finals, and the resilient Lightning held off the Calgary Flames 2-1 in Game 7 Monday night to win their first Stanley Cup.

The Flames, threatening to become one of the most unlikely champions in NHL history, were held to only seven shots in a dismal first two periods before making a frantic late surge started by Craig Conroy's power-play goal midway through the third.

Unbelievable. Amazing. That was one fun game to watch. 3rd period was the best period of hockey I have ever watched.

[Edited on 6/7/2004 by crayon]

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 09:59 PM
Good game, eh? I can't beleive it, Barry Melrose predicted that score in Sportscenter this evening. Wow!

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 10:31 PM
Congrats to the Tampa Bay Lightning.

It was definitely an entertaining series, good end to an awesome season. 2003-2004 was a great year for hockey.

Again, let's cross our fingers and hope they can work things out and make sure there is hockey next year.

Way to go Dave after 22 years, you deserve it!

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 12:54 AM
Photos from Yahoo!

It was definately a hard faught battle.

I'm a bird, I can fly. Sorry couldn't resist.

The Conn Smythe winner Brad Richards hoisting "The Prize".

5'7" tall? I don't think so, try 9 foot and invinceable.

The Flames should not hang their heads too low. They did knock of the #1 and #2 seeds in the West to play for the Cup.

But we have a brand new Stanley Cup Champion.

The Tampa Bay Lightning!

This game was watched by those fighting in the Middle East. Troops in Kabul react to a near goal by Calgary.

[Edited on 6/8/2004 by crayon]

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 07:51 AM
I was really hoping that Calgary could pull it off, but Tampa Bay played really well and they definately deserved to win the Cup. They played an awesome defensive game.

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 10:55 AM
Yesterday birthday, today not feeling that great, might be back after I'm hydrated. Congrats to the Lightning. A well fought championship victory.

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 05:46 PM
whats the next step for the lightning

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 07:36 PM
What else? Celebrate!!!

Relish in it.

It may be the last time the cup is vied for in the next few years.

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 08:40 PM
it is great to see a team that worked so hard to get there win it, I was getting tired of the red Wings winning ever other year, I feel bad for calgary but oh well there are winners, and there are losers

congrats to the Lighting to a great NHL season!

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 09:56 PM
this was the first hockey game i watched from start to finish, it was exciting, and since my mom used to live in tampa i was pulling for them. but i don't understand the rules, they kept calling something called "icing" the only icing i know goes on a cake. and then they called offsides, i don't know how that works either, i'll watch a couple more next year and see if i can figure this thing out.

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 10:20 PM
Let me see if I can help with these 2 rules. I can try and find some good diagrams if the following text does not help.

Opposing team's zone: The area on the ice between the Blue Line and the end boards on the end of the ice that the other team is defending.

Simplified rules from

When a player moves into the opposing team's zone, the puck must cross the blue line before his skates do. If any attacking player has both skates across the blue line before the puck, off-side is called. This results in a face-off.

Icing (A little bit harder to understand):

The last "line rule" in hockey is icing. If a player shoots the puck into the opposing team's zone from his side of the red line, and the puck crosses the goal line at the other end without anyone touching it, and an opposing player other than the goalie then touches it first, icing is called on the attacking team. This results in a face-off in the attacking team's zone. But if someone on the attacking team is the first to touch the puck, or if the defending team's goalie touches it first, the icing is waived off.
There is no icing if the above happens and the team that breaks the above rule is killing off a penalty (they are down 1 or 2 skaters due to other broken rules.)

Some good definitions can be found here.

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 10:24 PM
thanks crayon, those help a little. i've read the rules before but i think that i need to see a game live with someone who understands them for it too sink in. (what is your favorite brand of crayons? color?)

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 10:29 PM

Originally posted by aegis fang
thanks crayon, those help a little. i've read the rules before but i think that i need to see a game live with someone who understands them for it too sink in. (what is your favorite brand of crayons? color?)

Hey, you are in the Dakota's, correct? You might have to make a road trip to the Twin Cities and we can hit a Wild game and get you all caught up on the rules.

Ya know, I have used this name on ATS and ST for about 6 months now, and you are the first person to mention coloring crayons

That is not why I picked the name. But if I were to pick a brand, it would have to be Crayola, and color... hmmm.... I have always liked how blue Crayola's looked on paper.

If you want to know about 'crayon', head here.

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 10:49 PM
that sounds like a good idea, i just made my biggest driving road trip in about 2 years today, i went all the way to Rock Valley, Iowa (about 30 or 40 miles from here). i went to a USHL game here last year but none of us knew anything about hockey, and the beer was suprisingly cheap so we learned little. when does the NHL start again? and aren't they having labor disputes too?

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 12:22 AM
LMAO the frightening won the cup...whats next the cardinals winning the superbowl or the magic winning the NBA championship...seriously tho i love the lightening and im glad they achieved what they did this year...they played smart and with heart and deserved it this year.

top topics