It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: OTHER: Stella Artois round-up Monday

page: 1

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 06:15 PM
English qualifier Jamie Delgado saved a match point in the second set before defeating No. 11 Taylor Dent of the United States in Monday's first round at the Stella Artois Championships, a grasscourt tuneup event for Wimbledon.

With Dent serving at 5-4, Delgado erased the match point with a forehand winner and went on to post a 5-7, 7-5, 7-6 (7-3) victory in just over two hours. This was the first ATP main draw win of the season for Delgado, who has played only Futures events this year.

"It was obviously an unbelievable win for me and it showed me that I can still play well," he said. "I've been struggling a bit but this will help me a lot. I think I should be ranked a lot higher than I am, and as soon as I got on the court I felt I could win this match. By the third I knew it could be mine."

Delgado will play countryman Jonathan Marray, who was given a wild card entry. The 23-year-old Marray notched his first career win on the ATP circuit with a 6-3, 4-6, 7-5 triumph over Christophe Rochus of Belgium.

Another English wild card, Arvind Parmar, lost to Canadian wild card Frank Dancevic, 7-5, 1-6, 7-6 (7-5). Parmar squandered a 5-2 lead in the first set and a 3-1 advantage in the third.

Dent was one of three seeded players to lose Monday. No. 10 Max Mirnyi of Belarus lost to France's Nicolas Mahut, 6-4, 6-7 (2-7), 6-4, and another Frenchman, Olivier Patience, downed No. 13 David Ferrer, 4-6, 7-6, 6-4. No. 14 Ivo Karlovic of Croatia avoided the upset bug with a 6-4, 6-7 (5-7), 7-6 (7-5) victory over American Jan-Michael Gambill.

Korean qualifier Hyung-Taik Lee dug out of a third-set hole to eliminate English wild card Greg Rusedski, 3-6, 6-3, 6-4. A quarterfinalist here in 2002, Lee rallied from a 3-0 deficit in the final set for his first win over Rusedski in four encounters.

Slovakian Karol Kucera rallied past Dutchman John van Lottum, 4-6, 6-1, 6-1, to move into a second-round meeting with top seed and defending champion Andy Roddick of the United States.

Roddick, who received a first-round bye, is coming off a second-round loss at the French Open, but owns a 33-8 record this season, which includes two titles.