It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: AUTO: Martin Wins Bizarre Race at Dover

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Two red flags and a spot of oil allowed Mark Martin to end his winless streak. With less than 20 laps to go, Kasey Khane went through a patch of oil on the track, spun and hit the wall, allowing Martin to drive to victory. Martin won his 4th Dover race but only his 1st in over two years. Dale Earnhardt Jr. was able to finish 3rd and retain the overall lead in the Nextel Cup standings.

Associated Press
DOVER, Del. - Mark Martin managed to avoid one massive pileup, got a break when runaway leader Kasey Kahne crashed, and ended a long losing streak in a bizarre race Sunday at Dover International Speedway.

"Everything went our way today," said Martin, winless in 72 NASCAR (news - web sites) races since 2000. "The car got stronger and stronger."

Comments:
I did not get to see most of the race, but I saw the last wreck, oh my. Scary stuff. I don't like it when wrecks like that decide who is going to win a race, I like to see a shootout comming around the last corner. Much more exciting in my book. Congrats to Martin, its been a while.

My data say Martin won the Coca-Cola 600 in 2002, not sure where 72 races and 2000 come from.

[Edited on 6/6/04 by TRD]

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I watched that a a friends house. It was weird.

The 18 car pile up !! That shouldnt have happenned.

And the oil on the track, stealing a well deserved win for Kahne away from him.

Just plain weird.

But at least the old guy got another win.

Did anyone hear about the truck race fiasco at Charlotte during speed-week? The no-yellow yellow? (probubly should start this in another thread huh.)

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 08:39 PM
link   
i watched most of the race, and i'm suprised anyone finished it. and what the &*%$ was up with the 40 laps of caution? they should have red flagged it to figure out where everyone was supposed to restart the race at. Nascar dropped the ball on this race. the whole Newman incedent really irked me too. if he had a lap on everyone and got pennalized a lap then he should have been on the same lap as the rest of the field. (just a note, i am not a newman fan as my avatar will tell).

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 09:49 PM
link   
NASCAR is making some HUGE mistakes lately.

The truck race at Charlotte? Apparently some drivers saw a yellow come out on the light system. Then the yellow went away. Of course some drivers slowed down when they saw it.

The race went on.

Then when this was brought to NASCAR's attention, they denied it with their might.
The Yellow NEVER came out.!!!

Only some guy got Fox to let him review the tapes, and doggone !! The Yellow Had come out and gone away just as mysteriously.

Now NASCAR is mad at Fox for letting somebody see the tapes.

What next !

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 09:59 PM
link   
That is a case where they need to admit they made a mistake and give some bonus points to those that saw the yellow and slowed down.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 03:49 PM
link   
NASCAR needs to think

What a strange race. I can't understand the 40 laps of yellow flag racing. I have never understood the tail end of the lead lap cars being in front of the race leaders.
As far as I am concerned,the leaders should be in front at all times. How can you put a leader,for all intent and purpose back in 10th place?
I would think they could at least seperate them by half a lap,or hell even 100 yards. But don't put the leaders in the middle of what will be a big mess.

I don't get the call on Ryan Newman either.
Even if was on a lap of his own,he still should have been held for pit violations. Add em up and he would have ended up more than lap down. He entered pit road when it was closed,outside of the commit zone and there were a couple of other things he did,that I don't rember. Most of them are stop and go penalties. I will give him credit for being a man about it though. I liked his "I ran out of talent" comment.

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I enjoyed watching it, but I was very dissapointed when "Dodge power" Kasey kahne hit a puddle of oil and took a spin, I feel so bad for the guy, 3 second place finishes, that has to stink, I was glad to see Martin win though, he was due for it.

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 10:47 PM
link   
i didn't get a chance to watch the race but it is time that nascar admits that they have some problems, 40 laps of caution is ridiculus, i can understand the safety issue of not wanting to race back to the yellow flag but these are big boys and this is not the first time this year that there has been controversy due to a caution....nascar is putting in to many complicated rules....LET THEM RACE...if nothing else maybe they need to do what every short track has done for the last 50 years, score them as they were at the end of the last completed lap,

top topics

join