It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: HOCKEY: St Louis sends the Stanley Cup Finals back to Tampa Bay.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 01:24 AM
link   
They did it. In the second overtime the Lightning scored the winning goal and forced a game 7. The number 1 seed in the East versus a Cinderella type story with the Flames. Its Canada vs the USA. This series has had it all. Huge scores, huge saves, and huge hits. Both teams looked like they were out of gas in the first overtime. This sets the stage for a high paced, high impact game 7.

Associated Press

Maybe it was the phone call from Ray Bourque, maybe it was their coach's psychological ploy to tilt the pressure Calgary's way.

Whatever it was, the Tampa Bay Lightning have forced Game 7 in a Stanley Cup finals that much of Calgary -- and Canada, too -- must have thought was over.

Martin St. Louis knocked in a rebound in the opening seconds of the second overtime and the Lightning spoiled the Flames' Stanley Cup celebration with a series-tying 3-2 victory in Game 6 Saturday night.

Comments:
Well I am happy about this. Game 7. It might be the last NHL game for over a year. That is something to think about.

The little guy finally got some space and a chance to get a clean shot on net. He made no mistake about it, Martin St Louis BURIED it.

Game 7, Lord Stanley, and hockey in June.

[Edited on 6/6/04 by TRD]

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Not surprising to see these teams go the full 7. It is for Lord Stanly's, you'd expect each teamto play with all their heart.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 09:17 AM
link   
for my money a game 7 in the stanley cup finals is THE most exciting moment in sports

Ben

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 09:36 AM
link   
should there be a game 7 though? (yes i want TB to win) but did anybody see the puck cross teh line for the Flames earlier in the 3rd?

From buffalo and all, i know about being robbed of the championships. It has happened to us numerous times. But what about this? Is this actually a goal or a no goal?

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Game 7 is always the best. I look forward to a truly memorable contest.

Calgary 4 Tampa Bay 2
They will score an empty netter

Ben

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 01:19 PM
link   
i hope game 7 goes into OT...you can tell that both teams are extermely tired.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben
i hope game 7 goes into OT

I'd love to see game 7 go into OT, does it get any more exciting than that? You play all season to put yourself in the position of "next goal wins the Stanley Cup". This game will seperate the men from the boys.

So, anyone care to predict the game winning goal for game 7?

I'll guess Iginla, he's been awesome.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I'll go with COnroy

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I do not keep hockey. Before this series everyone was talking about how Tampa Bay overmatched Calgary. I saw some of the game last night and am planning to watch game 7. Game 7 in the finals is the best anyone can hope for.

Go Lightning!!!!!!

edited: Calgary NOT St Louis, like i said I dont keep track of hockey

[Edited on 04/10/03 by jrod]

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrod
I do not keep hockey. Before this series everyone was talking about how Tampa Bay overmatched St. Louis.

When you sat St.Louis do you mean the Blues or the Lightning winger Martin St.Louis?

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 05:49 PM
link   
This final has been good for hockey. An excellent series, game 7 shoud be amazing.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 06:44 PM
link   
It has been an excellent series and I'm sure game 7 wont disappoint.

Looking past tomorrow night though, I'm sure I speak for hockey fans around the world when I say that they need to iron out this CBA bull$hit and get ready for another great season. I think a lockout would hurt hockey tremendously. There will be teams that will end up folding and it will leave an awfully sour taste in many fan's mouths. Look how long it took baseball to recover from it's strike and that's the national pasttime in this country. Hockey is slowly growing and becoming more and more popular and this would more than stunt that growth. Who ever thought you would see hockey in Florida and there's a chance the Cup will go down there, just an example of hockey's growth but they need to avoid a work stoppage at all costs.
[/rant]

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I agree PA. Hockey will die in over 50% of the cities if there is a lockout. Could you imagine TB winning the cup, and then never playing hockey again? It could be possible.

I know there are several cities already signed up with the WHA for next season. Some of the bigger name teams will be able to survive, but the small market clubs would fold.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I don't want to see a work stoppage, BUT look at what a salary cap has done for the NFL. It can be exemplefied by last season. What parity. Also look at the salaries payed by the two teams in the final. Neither is in the top 10, I think. It's Goodenow and agent cronies that would rather see escalating saleries at the expense of the league. I'm all for a salary cap.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I really do hope that there is hockey next year though.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben
should there be a game 7 though? (yes i want TB to win) but did anybody see the puck cross teh line for the Flames earlier in the 3rd?

From buffalo and all, i know about being robbed of the championships. It has happened to us numerous times. But what about this? Is this actually a goal or a no goal?

I only saw the replay once,so go easy on me.
Figures, I step out the house for a few,come back and see the replay. From what I saw it went in but......It looked like it went in off of his skate. And his skate was sliding towards the net. Like he was pushing the puck toward the net with his skate,which means it is no goal.
Only saw it once though.
I hope Tampa pulls it off tonight. I am still a little irratated with the Flames.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I think it was the correct call by the officials. For starters, there was never a great angle to see if the puck actually did cross the line. The angle that I saw from from the front, so if the puck was off the ice by 4 inches, you would see white between it and the goal line.

Also, Gelinas did make an attempt with his leg to get it to the puck, and since it was moving towards the net, this could be construed as a kicking motion.

I believe the correct call was made.

Ben

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 07:58 PM
link   
i did think it was the right call, but does it change poeple's mind about the call at all?

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Computer animations show that there is a good chance that the puck never did cross the line.

They just showed it during the game. There were some assumptions made, including the height of the puck. Very impressive non the less.

But it comes down to being conclusive, and it was not.

Does it affect the mindset of the Flames? Possibly. But they are professionals, they need to ignore it and play game 7.

new topics

top topics

join