It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: OTHER: Birdstone wins Belmont, denies Smarty Jones

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Smarty Jones cannot hold on and win the Belmont Stakes and claim the Triple Crown. Smarty pulled ahead out of the gate and led most of the race. Down the final stretch Smarty was 4 lengths ahead but Birdstone moved up quickly. Smarty could not hold him off as Birdstone crossed the wire 1/2 length ahead.

Associated Press

NEW YORK - Smarty Jones lost the Belmont Stakes to Birdstone Saturday, according to unoffical results, his first defeat costing him the Triple Crown.

The 3-year-old colt had been heavily favored to become the 12th Triple Crown winner in 26 years and the first undefeated champion since Seattle Slew in 1977.

Comments:
Oh well, it was kinda neat to watch though. I think Smarty was a little excited with all the people and used up his energy way to early in the race.

[Edited on 6/5/2004 by crayon]

TRD

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Well i didn't watch it but it sounds like he went for home too early, i guess all winning runs eventually come to a end.

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I watched it, usually don't wacth horses, but it wa a good race, I thought. Birdstone just kicked it into high gear when he needed to.

join