It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: OTHER: Myskina easily becomes first Russian woman to win Slam

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 09:42 AM
link   
PARIS -- Anastasia Myskina became the first Russian woman to claim a Grand Slam title, taking advantage of shaky play by compatriot Elena Dementieva to win 6-1, 6-2 Saturday at the French Open.

With unspectacular but steady tennis, the No. 6-seeded Myskina capitalized on Dementieva's erratic performance, including 10 double-faults, to win in 59 minutes.

The match was the first all-Russian Grand Slam final and marked the first time in 30 years that Russia had even one woman in the final of a major event.

The No. 9-seeded Dementieva has long been plagued by an unreliable serve, especially in big matches, and that was the case again in her first major final. She lost her first four service games, and missed her final four serves - for two more double-faults -- to give Myskina a 5-2 lead in the second set.

Myskina herself double-faulted to lose the first game, then settled down and won the next eight games. She closed the victory when Dementieva sent a return long, and the two foes and longtime friends embraced at the net.

Story source

CBS

[Edited on 5/6/04 by TRD]

Ben

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 10:56 AM
link   
is the era of the willimas over?

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I don't think it's so much that the williams era is over, I think that they just won't dominate the scene like they have over the past couple of years. They are still top 10 level players.

TRD

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Gibbs i agree, the other women seem to have come on leaps and bounds and are playing great tennis. It started towards the end of last year with the williams getting knocked off the top spots in the rankings. They are going to find it tough now with so many other women being competitive.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Yeah, it's the same with Tiger Woods, he's not as much in a slump as the other guys have picked up thier game a bit to compete with him.

Ben

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 09:25 AM
link   
i think its just how the sports are evolving you can only be dominate for so long as people are starting to find your weakness and exploite them.

TRD

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Can we say the same for the Yankees then LMAO!!

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
Can we say the same for the Yankees then LMAO!!

if only we could, if only we could...

join