It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any of u recognise this name: Massada

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2003 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Massada

My mum told me a few months back of a true story that chilled me to the bone and made me cry.

Massada...the boat shaped, craggy fortress above the dead sea.

Used as a safe hold by Zealots, Herods creation was a wonderful place to live..any another lot of people knew of its existence.

In 66ce, the Jewish rebellion caused around 700 people to flee to this place and raised the number of occupants to 960 men, woman and children.

In 72ce....Massada fell.

Heres the link to the true story of freedom and ultimate sacrafice.

Warning: i cried as i read it for the 1st time.

Massada

[Edited on 8-12-2003 by Gryffen]

posted on Dec, 8 2003 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Here is another link:

Massada 2

Or u could just Google and type Massada

posted on Dec, 8 2003 @ 05:00 PM
link   
eh...this is what people forget about when we talk badly about israel!

in other words: TAKE A LOOK!!!

posted on Dec, 8 2003 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I printed it out so I can read it after work...from what I did read, I expected more of a response

I'll comment further after I have read the whole thing

posted on Dec, 8 2003 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gryffen
eh...this is what people forget about when we talk badly about israel!

in other words: TAKE A LOOK!!!

You are indeed correct Gryffen.....

Oh, how many people forget and isn't strange how history often repeats itself?

Very nice find and the "message' is heard by those who will listen to it.

regards
seekerof

posted on Dec, 9 2003 @ 12:29 AM
link   
i believe the history channel: civilization had a special about this. it talked about it's structure and location, as well as the story that goes along with it.

posted on Dec, 9 2003 @ 12:39 AM
link   
People need to keep this in mind when the NWO comes calling.

posted on Dec, 9 2003 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Hey I have been there twice and slept on the top

(Totally illegal but what the heck)

The ramp from the romans is still there - although reconstructed, and from the top you can see the roman wall around the bottom and the layout for their camps.

It is indeed a facinating place, I was lucky enough to be there when the Hebrew University had the light show and told the story. We walked down the ramp to their base for dinner and mingled with the crowd ate their food etc, and when someone asked where we were staying we pointed back up the hill and said "there". Got some suprised looks

posted on Dec, 9 2003 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Like many myths Massada is not entirely true.

posted on Dec, 9 2003 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Neo a lot of political movements would like it to be false, but the core if it is established fact, the people there, the romans who trapped them, etc all that happened.

I read that they even found the pot shards that held the votes of the people who had to kill their families. (the leaders killed their families and then one person killed the leaders and that person committed suicide.

Its an inspiring place with an amazing location

mosaic.lk.net... -- good history here

The ridge running from bottom centre to top right is the reconstructed roman ramp by which they broke into the fortress.

Here is the written account by Josephus, at around the time after it happened...
www.mfa.gov.il...

Some 75 years after Herod�s death, at the beginning of the Revolt of the Jews against the Romans in 66 CE, a group of Jewish rebels overcame the Roman garrison of Masada. After the fall of Jerusalem and the destruction of the Temple (70 CE) they were joined by zealots and their families who had fled from Jerusalem. With Masada as their base, they raided and harassed the Romans for two years.

Then, in 73 CE, the Roman governor Flavius Silva marched against Masada with the Tenth Legion, auxiliary units and thousands of Jewish prisoners-of-war.

The Romans established camps at the base of Masada, laid siege to it and built a circumvallation wall. They then constructed a rampart of thousands of tons of stones and beaten earth against the western approaches of the fortress and in the spring of the year 74 CE moved a battering ram up the ramp and breached the wall of the fortress.

Josephus Flavius dramatically recounts the story told him by two surviving women. The defenders � almost one thousand men, women and children � led by Eleazar ben Ya�ir, decided to burn the fortress and end their own lives, rather than be taken alive. �And so met (the Romans) with the multitude of the slain, but could take no pleasure in the fact, though it were done to their enemies.

Nor could they do other than wonder at the courage of their resolution, and at the immovable contempt of death which so great a number of them had shown, when they went through with such an action as that was.�

www.pbs.org...

(I slept on the tower in the top right hand side to get away from the mosqutoes)
www.us-israel.org...

posted on Dec, 9 2003 @ 01:27 AM
link   
I did not mean that it was false.

There have been credible suggestions that it was sensationalized like numerous biblical stories.

Again part of the need to build the modern Jewish state for the end time destruction.

posted on Dec, 9 2003 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Its not a biblical story - its post biblical about 70ad
Josephus was a Jewish historian who was working for the romans. He also talked a little about Jesus.

Indeed it has been turned into a monument as an example for Israel today, all their soldiers visit it upon entering the military and they use the phrase "masada will never fall again" as a rallying cry.

Originally posted by THENEO
I did not mean that it was false.

There have been credible suggestions that it was sensationalized like numerous biblical stories.

Again part of the need to build the modern Jewish state for the end time destruction.

posted on Dec, 9 2003 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Gee and did not Rome adopt the christian state and did not the Roman church become a big part of christianity?

Was not 70 AD after the essenes and in the time of the cathars?

posted on Dec, 11 2003 @ 06:13 PM
link   
The 1st time I heard about this subject was by watching a
miniseries on television.
It was entitled"Masada" and it was basically about this historical episode.
If I remember correctly Peter O' Toole was playing a leading
role as the Roman officer leading the attack on the fortress.

The idea of commiting suicide to avoid capture by Roman forces was by no means unique to the defenders of Masada.
The carthaginian general Hannibal also took his life after his defeat ,in order to avoid capture.
The Ancient British warrior queen named Boudicca also did
the same after launching an unsuccessful revolt against the Romans.
Others who have done the same were of course Mark Antony and Cleopatra after their defeat in the Roman civil
war.

posted on Dec, 11 2003 @ 06:21 PM
link   
thats the very one Yogi

There was also music to it as well

Maxsim has done the most recent version on his album..Its called Exodus

brilliant mini series

posted on Dec, 11 2003 @ 06:35 PM
link   
the equipemnt used in the movie - siege engines, catapults etc are left behind at the bottom of the ramp as exhibits...

posted on Dec, 12 2003 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Yes, very familiar with it -- it's the Revolt of the Maccabees and is the basis for one of the great Jewish festivals/holidays. There's a lot of books about it (both fictional and historical.)

posted on Dec, 12 2003 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Doesnt Ring A Bell To Me Sorry.

posted on Dec, 12 2003 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Massada...hmm..nope..doesn't hit me either.... : - /

???

-wD

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 12:02 AM
link   
It is indeed a sad story...

I actually think there has been a sci-fi series in which this event also was an important part..

I just wish I could remmeber which series it was..

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join