It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASEBALL: Heads hot in Pittsburgh

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 11:44 AM
link   
PITTSBURGH (AP) — Lloyd McClendon took exception to Tony La Russa yelling at one of his pitchers. "I'm not going to let anybody holler at my players," McClendon said. "I don't apologize for anything I do between the lines."

Both managers were ejected with two outs in the top of the ninth inning in St. Louis' 4-2 victory over Pittsburgh after Pirates reliever Mike Gonzalez sent Tony Womack to the dirt with a high, inside pitch.

Plate umpire Brian Gorman and first-base umpire Dale Scott tried to restrain McClendon, who forged ahead.

La Russa came onto the field, and the umpires stood between the managers as they exchanged heated words along the first-base line near the Cardinals dugout.

"(McClendon's) right, you shouldn't yell at other teams players," La Russa said. "I mean, I don't like to do it, but when it gets to be excessive — that ball up in the head area — it's better to yell than for us to come back and throw at somebody's head."

The benches and bullpens emptied, and there was physical contact but no players were ejected.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Sounds as if La Russa was trying to do the reight thing, maybe he just got carried away with it.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 05:01 PM
link   
La Russa, McClendon each suspended for two games

June 4, 2004
NEW YORK (AP) -- Pittsburgh manager Lloyd McClendon and St. Louis manager Tony La Russa were each suspended for two games Friday after getting into a shouting match during a game that caused both benches to empty.

McClendon and La Russa were also both fined undisclosed amounts by Bob Watson, baseball's vice president of on-field operations.

La Russa was set to begin his suspension Friday night. McClendon, whose team played an afternoon game Friday, was to begin his suspension Saturday.

Both managers were ejected with two outs in the top of the ninth inning in St. Louis' 4-2 victory over Pittsburgh on Thursday after Pirates reliever Mike Gonzalez sent Tony Womack to the dirt with a high, inside pitch.

Before Gonzalez's next pitch, La Russa yelled at him. That prompted McClendon to storm out of his team's dugout and head toward the Cardinals dugout to confront La Russa.

Plate umpire Brian Gorman and first-base umpire Dale Scott tried to restrain McClendon. La Russa came onto the field, and the umpires stood between the managers as they exchanged heated words along the first-base line near the Cardinals dugout.

``It is my responsibility to take up for and look after my players,'' McClendon said Friday at Wrigley Field. ``I did what I thought I had to do. I don't apologize for what I did on the field.''

After Thursday's game, La Russa said he was simply trying to protect his players.

''(McClendon's) right, you shouldn't yell at other teams' players,'' La Russa said. ``I mean, I don't like to do it, but when it gets to be excessive -- that ball up in the head area -- it's better to yell than for us to come back and throw at somebody's head.''

join