It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: FOOTBALL: Sharpe makes retirement official

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 06:46 PM
link   
DENVER (AP) - Shannon Sharpe was never at a loss for words during an record-setting NFL career that spanned 14 seasons. He wasn't about to clam up Thursday as he formally announced his retirement.

"I've always liked to talk and it's who I am,'' said Sharpe, who is leaving the Denver Broncos to become a member of The NFL Today on CBS. "I've always had something to say and knew what I was talking about.''

Owner Pat Bowlen took a more serious approach to the loss of a beloved player Denver drafted in the seventh round out of Savannah State in 1990. What do you say about the greatest tight end to ever play football? Bowlen said. I don't think there is any dispute that Shannon is the best to have ever played that position.

He was the conscience of this football team, Bowlen said. In times when good things were happening and in turmoil, Shannon was always there to lead this team in many ways with what he said and what he did.''

Sharpe, who will be 36 this month, had wavered on whether to return for a 15th NFL season before announcing in April that he would be back. The eight-time Pro Bowler had expressed interest in a TV analyst job in the past and changed his mind about retirement when Deion Sanders left the CBS show. His brother, Sterling, was a commentator for ESPN for seven years before joining the NFL Network this year.

Sharpe won two Super Bowls with Denver and one with Baltimore during his career. He's the NFL's career leader in receptions (815) and yards (10,060) for tight ends, and last season he passed Jerry Smith for most touchdowns with 62. Overall, Sharpe ranks ninth in receptions and 21st in receiving yards. The only time he was speechless Thursday was when he was asked to rate himself against other tight ends, past and present.

"I'll leave that to you,'' he said.

Sharpe spent all but two of his 14 seasons with the Broncos. After two years with Baltimore, he returned to Denver in 2002 for the final two years in the NFL. When he came back he said he would do whatever it took to get a Super Bowl ring,'' Denver coach Mike Shanahan said. He meant what he said.''

The Broncos have prepared themselves for the loss of Sharpe, signing free agent tight ends Byron Chamberlain, Jed Weaver and O.J. Santiago and re-signing Patrick Hape. Three other tight ends are on the roster. Sharpe was scheduled to make $760,000 with the Broncos next season, but is expected to make more with CBS.

Sharpe surprised many of his teammates Thursday by showing up for an offseason workout session. During the session, he said, he told his teammates he was prepared physically, but not mentally to return for another season.

"It's not a good time to retire. It's not a bad time to retire,'' Sharpe said. "It's just time.''

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 09:14 PM
link   
So why did he have to formerly announce his retirement, when we all knew about it anyway? It's not like he was gonna do the pregame show, the get beamed into the Denver locker room in time for the game.

Ben

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 09:25 AM
link   
i thought that he had a solid season last year, still dont get why he is retiring

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 12:16 PM
link   
16 seasons is a long time, for any position. He was a great tightend. And will probably head to the Hall of Fame.

If he does not want to play the game mentally, that is a good reason to stop. People get hurt when they are not with it in the mind. I congradulate him for his choice. Continuing to play could hurt not only himself but his team or a member of his team. I think he made he right choice.

Can't wait for Tony G to surpass all of Sharpe's records.

Go Chiefs!

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Have to agree with all of you. He'll make the HOF, and Gonzalez will break his records, barring injury. He's the best TE I've seen. You could tell from his rookie year he was going to be special.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Yeah, Gonzolaz is the current best, but I would put Heap right behind him, and it's gonna be interesting to see if Winslow can keep up with his mouth, something that Sharpe could do, (barely
)

top topics

join