It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASEBALL: Garciaparra could be back next week

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 06:41 PM
link   
TOLEDO, Ohio (AP) - Star shortstop Nomar Garciaparra hopes to be back in the Boston Red Sox lineup early next week, he said Thursday.

Sidelined all season because of a sore right Achilles' tendon, Garciaparra started a three-game rehabilitation assignment with Triple-A Pawtucket in Toledo on Thursday. He plans to fly back to Boston after Saturday's game to be evaluated. If all goes well, he could be in Boston's lineup Tuesday against San Diego.

"I would like to," Garciaparra said. "But I've never put a definite time on it or said this is my mark or this is my goal.

"If I don't reach it, I don't want to be disappointed," he said. "Nothing's been decided."

Garciaparra injured himself when he fouled a ball off his heel in spring training on March 17. The five-time AL All-Star played five innings in two games for the PawSox against Louisville before going back to Boston this week to work out and be evaluated by team doctors.

"All signs were good," he said. "It was a good evaluation."

Garciaparra was 0-for-3 with a strikeout in his debut Sunday and came back to get two hits the next night. The two-time batting champion said right now he is concentrating on getting his timing down in the batter's box and making sure he can move around without worrying about his heel.

"It's not easy just to step in there and go out there and start hitting," he said. "We'd like to think we can."

Although the team initially hoped he could be ready for the start of the season, his rehab has been slower than first expected. Garciaparra, eligible for free agency after the season, clearly was happy just to be playing again.

"It drives me crazy to not be able to play," he said. "I'm just excited to be in this baseball atmosphere."

Boston was idle Thursday. The Red Sox are 31-22 and 2 games behind New York in the AL East.

[Edited on 3/6/04 by TRD]

Ben

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 06:50 PM
link   
sounds good for the Sox's, i think that they need him in order to make a run at the playoffs, and fantasy players will be happy now.

TRD

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Yeah he is a decent player and as you say fantasy managers will be pleased by the news.

Ben

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 08:19 PM
link   
will he be a starter full time right away? or do you think that the coahces will ease him back into the lineup

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Nomar's return should be a huge boost for the BoSox, they have been playing well but could really use his bat at the top of the order and his wicked glove in the field.

He's been chilling at home with his wife Mia Hamm and still collecting checks, not a bad life.

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Nomar was in the starting lineup tonight and I believe he had a single in his first at-bat.

TRD

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Yeah he did have a hit PA...

As you say he will be a massive boost for them but i think he is going to take it easy for a few weeks and ease back into it.

Great news for my fantasy team though...

top topics

join