It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: GOLF: Monty to miss US Open

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Colin Montgomerie seems sure to miss next month's US Open, ending his run of 49 straight appearances in majors. Montgomerie had to finish in at least fifth place at this week's Volvo PGA Championship to qualify automatically by being in the top 50 in the world.

The Scot has indicated he will not try to go through qualifying for the US Open, although as a two-time runner-up he could get an invitation.

The qualifying competition for the US Open starts next Monday, but Montgomerie currently going through a divorce, has opted to play at the Wales Open and the Diageo Championship instead.

The 40-year-old tied for 128th place finish in Germany last week, his lowest placing since his very first European tour start in 1987.

As things stand, Montgomerie will also have to qualify for this year's Open Championship at Troon. He had been downcast immediately after failing to claim a top-six place in the Volvo PGA Championship at Wentworth. But the 40-year-old said: "There are a few ways to go and I'll be trying my damnedest to get in through Loch Lomond and also the European Open. "If that doesn't happen, there is qualifying down at Sunningdale and I think I'll go down there."

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I'm not a huge golf fan, but I have always liked montgomerie, he should get an invite

new topics

join