It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: OTHER: Capriati sends Serena packing

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Jennifer Capriati dumped Serena Williams out of the French Open at the quarter-final stage on Tuesday.Despite losing the second set, Capriati was guilty of fewer unforced errors than Williams during their encounter.

However, it was not until midway in the deciding set when the match swung in favour of Capriati after Williams appeared to pick up a hamstring injury. In what was a battle between two former champions, Capriati foiled a fightback from the second seed to win 6-3 2-6 6-3 in a rain-interrupted match.

Williams described her performance as no better than that of an amateur. She said: "I made a lot of errors, failing to keep the ball in, not moving up, just basically not doing anything at a professional level. "I was an amateur today." She struggled badly with her serve in the deciding set, landing less than half of her first serves, and that allowed Capriati to take full advantage. Capriati, the 2001 champion, was delighted to have got the better of a scrappy match which was played in damp conditions. She now faces Anastasia Myskina, who beat Williams' sister Venus.

Ben

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Both Williams are out of the tournament, this is great, both go down in a matter of hours. Serena in 3 and Venus in 2

TRD

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Yeah great result for Capriati, she played really well. I thought once it went 1 set all she was going to lose but she proved me wrong!!

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 06:42 PM
link   
So who do you think will win it in the women's game now?

Ben

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 08:04 PM
link   
whos left

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Besides Capriati and Myskina, there is Elena Dementieva, who just beat Amelie Mauresmo, and Paola Suarez, who just beat Maria Sharapova.

I'd go with Capriati, but won't be surprised if Myskina pulls it out.

Ben

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Capraiti has teh best chance, she ahs the most experience.

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Yeah, but maybe it's time for some new girls to share the spotlight.

posted on Jun, 2 2004 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Elena Dementieva is looking good on the surface and i think she could go all the way.

new topics

top topics

join