It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: OLYMPICS: Davenport may pull out over safety fears

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Lindsay Davenport is considering pulling out of this year's Olympics because of security fears. "It's an awkward feeling to go somewhere Americans aren't really wanted," said Davenport, who went out of the French Open on Sunday.

"But as well as the safety situation, there is also a lot of tennis coming up, so I have a decision to make."

World number two Kim Clijsters said security had been a contributing factor when she pulled out of the Games.

The Belgian also wanted to stay loyal to her clothing sponsor Fila rather than wear the Belgian team uniform, made by Adidas.

Davenport, the world number four and 1996 Olympic gold medallist, also admitted that playing in the Olympics is not as high a priority as it used to be.

"It's probably decreased in stature for me compared to playing at Wimbledon and the US Open," she said.

"It was an amazing feeling to play in 1996 and I will cherish the gold medal forever but I don't think that even winning it again in 2004 would even come close to that feeling for me.

"I was fortunate to play in my own country and again in Sydney. I might just keep those memories and not try and add anymore."

BBC News

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Hey, that is her choice to make, you can't beat up on her for that

join