It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASKETBALL: Orlando wins lottery

page: 1

join
share:
Ben

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 08:35 PM
link   
The Orlando Magic won the NBA draft lottery on Wednesday night, giving hope to Tracy McGrady and company after a league-low 21 wins last season.

NBA draft lottery selection order
Pick Team
1. Orlando
2. L.A. Clippers
3. Chicago
4. Charlotte
5. Washington
6. Atlanta
7. Phoenix
8. Toronto
9. Philadelphia
10. Cleveland
11. Golden State
12. Seattle
13. Portland
14. Utah

Magic senior vice president Pat Williams pumped his fist seconds after NBA Deputy Commissioner Russ Granik opened the 14th and final envelope revealing the Magic's logo.

"We needed a lift," Williams said. "We needed hope and that's what this pick does for us."

The unfortunate thing for the Magic is that this is a draft without a proven superstar.

When the Cleveland Cavaliers won last year, there was no doubt that they would take high school phenom LeBron James who went on to become the rookie of the year.

This year the choice is not as obvious.

Connecticut center Emeka Okafor and Atlanta high school star Dwight Howard have been mentioned prominently as possible top picks, but each has drawbacks.

Okafor has battled a back problem and Howard is like any youngster -- one never knows.

This is the third time in the last 12 years that Williams has been on the stage and gotten the No. 1 pick. Orlando got the No. 1 in 1992 and '93.

"It's not like 12 years ago sitting here knowing Shaq was coming," Williams said, referring to Shaquille O'Neal.

The Magic drafted Chris Webber No. 1 the following year but traded him for Penny Hardaway. O'Neal and Hardaway led Orlando to the NBA Finals.

The Los Angeles Clippers made the biggest move in the lottery, jumping from the fifth pick to No. 2. Chicago slipped from No. 2 to No. 3.

The expansion Charlotte Bobcats were assured of the fourth pick.

Washington, which had the third best chance of getting the No. 1 pick, slipped to No. 5.

The lottery did not change picks six through No. 14. Atlanta will have the sixth choice and will be followed by Phoenix, Toronto, Philadelphia, Cleveland, Golden State, Seattle, Portland and Utah.

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I think Okafor is the logical first pick, and I think he is the real deal. if the stars align, and Grant Hill stays healthy, the Magic could be a title contender...

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I live in Florida and the local paper is talking about possibly letting T-Mac go. What is there problem I think the Magic need to cater to T-Mac and let him quietly run the show. You cant go wrong with a guy who hates loosing and has the natural ability to single handidly beat another team.

If this pick is used wisely I agree that they'll be contenders. If Okafor can bring that Ben Wallace style of play and Grant Hill's ankle holds together they'll be so strong.

Too many ifs with this team right now IMO.

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by jrod
Too many ifs with this team right now IMO.

Yeah, that's the thing, I would expect them to improve this year either way, though. If they do trade T-Mac, they should get a King's ransom for him, he is an awesome player. I'm not sure how much of a team player he is, though...

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 04:17 PM
link   
As a fan of my home team the Orlando Magic I have to say I like Dwight Howard over Okafor because he is taller and shows more athletism and potential. They Magic should let them play with T-Mac and let him decide who he likes. I would look to see Howard and Okafor side by side in an exhibition practice for the scouts.

You gotta be crazy to question someone like McGrady's as a team player. The talks about trading him are absurd, unlike what some say he far better and commited than Penny Hardaway.

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 06:12 PM
link   
This is great news for Orlando.

Hopefully they can get a quality player in there to help the team out.

Ben

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 10:09 PM
link   
who has better numbers okafur or Howard

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 11:14 PM
link   
For a team that needs an immediate lift next season (considering they want T-Mac to say, I mean, why wouldn't you want him to stay??) I would go with Okafor over Howard.

Okafor is somewhat of a risk with back issues, and people say he's undersized, but anytime you choose a high school player over a proven college star you're taking a huge risk.

Granted, the payoff from a high school player can be tremendous (read: Kobe/Garnett/T-Mac/Stoudamire etc.) but i've always felt that some of the most solid performers have been college athletes (Shaq/Iverson/Duncan).

Also note that while it took some of the high school players I listed above a couple of years to develop, all three of the College players I listed averaged at least 20 points a game and made huge impacts in their first years.

As for Okafor being undersized, hell many people think Ben Wallace is undersized for a center...and theres no doubting the contributions he makes to his team.

Ben

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I havnet heard of Howard till he hit the draft and Okfur has proven himself nurmous times in the college ranks, why would you want to take a risk in Howard? (like cannon stated)

new topics

top topics

join