It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BOXING: Gatti Aims to Avoid Slugfest Against Dorin

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 01:22 PM
link   
(AP) - For boxing fans hoping to see another round of rock 'em sock 'em robots from Arturo Gatti, forget it. At least, that's how the perpetual punching machine sees his next fight shaping up, when he defends his WBC super lightweight title against Leonard Dorin on July 24 at Atlantic City.

"I don't see myself getting into a slugfest with him," Gatti said Tuesday.

Instead, Gatti said he intends to move around a lot against the smaller, top-ranked contender.

Quite a departure from Gatti's usual style. His action-packed bouts typically leave both fighters bruised and bloodied - in three thrilling fights with Micky Ward, Gatti won despite breaking his right hand and left his opponent with a broken eardrum.

The 140-pound Gatti figures a 12-round jab-fest might be just as entertaining for his followers.

"My family, friends and fans know me, they've seen what I can do," he said. "I can be a good boxer, a good brawler, a guy who can get up off the canvas."

Gatti (37-6, 28 knockouts) won a unanimous 12-round decision over Gianluca Branco in January. Gatti won despite reinjuring the right hand he broke against Ward in June 2003.

Gatti worried that he had again broken his hand against Branco. Instead, he'd hurt a ligament, and he's been sparring with specially made gloves recently to ease the pain.

Dorin (22-0-1, eight knockouts) won the WBA lightweight crown in January 2002 with a split decision over champion Raul Balbi. He moved to the 140-pound division and beat Chucky Tschorniawsky in four rounds in March.

"I hope it's going to be a good show," Dorin said. "He's strong and I'm strong, too. He's fast, and I'm fast, too."

Wearing sunglasses and with his hat flipped backward, Gatti didn't seem too worried.

Gatti was already looking ahead, figuring his next bout would be against former IBF lightweight champion Paul Spadafora (37-0-1). The only blemish on Spadafora's record was a draw against Dorin last May.

Beyond that, Gatti would like to fight Floyd Mayweather Jr. Fighting for the first time as a junior welterweight, Mayweather beat DeMarcus "Chop Chop" Corley last weekend.

While Gatti is thinking about a win, he's well aware what his family and friends want. He said he can feel them wincing when they see his purple, swollen face after one of his typical slugfests.

"They just don't want me to get hurt," he said. "So far, I haven't been."

The undercard on July 24 includes a 10-round junior welterweight bout between Francisco Bojado and James Leija.

Copyright 2004 Associated Press. All rights reserved.

TRD

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Whatever happens it will be a great fight and i can't see Gatti dancing around for twelve rounds, expect the fists to fly.

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
Whatever happens it will be a great fight and i can't see Gatti dancing around for twelve rounds, expect the fists to fly.

Indeed. Even though Gatti has adopted a more Boxing Style in his recent fights, Im betting that once he gets hit it will become a war.

TRD

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Yep he will come out guns blazing at some time in the fight he won't be able to contain himself and if he puts in some of them combo's in lightening fashion it will be lights out for Dorin.

new topics

top topics

join