It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BOXING: Froch tipped for greatness

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 12:59 PM
link   
(BBC Sports) - Carl Froch's trainer Robert McCracken believes the super middleweight prospect is the only British fighter good enough to unify the world crowns.

The Commonwealth champion fights British titleist Tony Dodson on 2 June at the Nottingham Arena.

And McCracken insists the "Cobra" will win the grudge match in style and then start thinking about America.

"Carl's no ordinary boxer - he's good enough to go on to beat the Americans in their own backyard," said McCracken.

"Dodson is a good champion who has not been underestimated in the slightest, but he is going to come up against a world-class talent in the condition of his life, boxing in his hometown.

"Technically, he just gets better and better. He is so advanced for someone with just 12 fights under his belt."

In March, the 26-year-old Froch went 12 rounds for the first time in beating Ghana's Charles Adamu to claim the Commonwealth crown and McCracken thinks he surmounted a large psychological barrier that night.

I have no doubt Carl will win a genuine world title and unify the titles - Robert McCracken

"Every fighter set outs with niggling doubts about whether he can do the distance or not. Now Carl will never have that in the back of his mind again.

"Carl stepped it up beautifully down the home stretch to secure the win but also became the first ever fighter to floor Adamu.

"Our top fighters come unstuck when they come up against top Americans, but that won't happen to Carl.

"I have no doubt he will win a genuine world title - and by genuine I mean WBC, WBA or IBF. I even believe that he will unify these titles."

© BBC MMIV

join