It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BOXING: Calzaghe beaten to punch

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 11:55 AM
link   
(BBC Sports) Joe Calzaghe says he is sorry that Antonio Tarver got to Roy Jones Jr before him, after the new WBC light heavyweight champion's stunning win.

"Jones never wanted to fight me at super middleweight and I pursued him to light heavyweight," said Calzaghe.

"I'm disappointed that Tarver knocked out Jones before I did, but he's called me out before and I am more than happy to get it on with him."

Calzaghe meets IBF light heavyweight champion Glen Johnson on 12 June.

The bout, at Manchester's MEN Arena, will be the undefeated Welshman's first at the new weight, having reigned as WBO super middleweight champion for seven years.

"Tarver's win has given me a massive incentive to really do a number on Johnson and get a fight with him," said Calzaghe.
"Tarver's now got the WBC title and I am confident of winning the IBF title so a unification showdown is a strong possibility.

"Tarver beat Jones the first time and I knew that he would beat him this time.

"Jones has always had a problem dealing with southpaws, that's why he never wanted to fight me.

"Full respect to Tarver, he is the number-one guy now."
Calzaghe's dream of a Tarver superfight has the full backing of his trainer and father.

"What a match that would be," said Enzo Calzaghe.

"Two genuine fighters, fresh - it would be explosive, more practical and a natural fight than Roy Jones versus Joe Calzaghe."

Tarver's win marked just the second career loss for Jones, widely regarded as the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world, whose only other defeat came when he was disqualified against Montell Griffin in 1997.

Calzaghe's promoter, Frank Warren, was thwarted in his wish to arrange a fight against Jones when the two boxers were super middleweights.

That task would not necessarily been any easier at light heavyweight, but Calzaghe moved up a division because there were more exciting - and lucrative - fights available at the 175-pound mark.
Tarver would certainly be more realistic, while Jones may come knocking now he is without a title himself.

However, the Calzaghe camp may have to move quickly as Tarver's promoter, Don King, is though to be lining him up for a move to heavyweight.

© BBC MMIV

new topics

join